G0709 lathe makes snapping/popping noise in reverse

I didn't get the AX33 belt mounted properly (it ended up too slack after running) and the belt didn't seem to be the problem anyway. Since I had to, at a minimum, adjust slack again, I reomved the belt, and determined that it was definitely coming from the motor. Spinning the motor by hand, I could tell that it always clicked at the same motor shaft angle. Oh no, bad bearings, I wept to myself.

I resigned myself to being without a lathe for a while and removed the motor.

This was terrible.

The motor is mounted to a cast iron mount which itself is mounted to the headstock case. The motor is screwed to the mount with 4 14mm hex M8x35 bolts. These, it turned out, were a little loose, which may have explained my difficulty getting the belt tightened properly. I couldn't reach the heads to remove the motor from the mount, only the bolts securing the mount to the headstock.

1677446745156.png

No problem, I hear you saying.

Almost all the wires from the control box were routed between the motor as the motor mount, so that if I just removed the motor mount, it would tear out the wires. I think it took me somewhere between half an hour and 45 minutes to remove the motor from the lathe. I also removed the motor mount, and discovered that all the wires could be routed between the motor mount and the lathe, so that if I have to remove the motor again in the future, I don't have to do this dance.

As the first step, I removed the fan shroud so I could see what hardware under it I was going to have to remove to tear the motor apart to find the right bearings to order.

The circlip to hold the fan on was not in its retaining groove. It was further in the shaft.

1677446908914.png

Then I looked at the fan blades. One of these things was not like the other:

1677446991265.png

Not only, that, but the base of the fan was warped and was running against the motor casing for part of the rotation.

1677447150315.png

1677447068901.png

You can see that it even took off a little paint there!

I put the circlip into the groove on the shaft, used a pry bar to push the fan out against the properly positioned circlip, and the motor quit making that annoying noise.

1677447185022.png

I ground down some M8x30 SCS to 26.5mm, so that they would be the same 25mm long after stacking a 1.5mm M8 washer (unnecessarily, it turned out; M8x30 would have been fine), and ground down the short end of a hex key so that it could fit between the motor and the cap. In retrospect, I could have kept the M8 hex nuts and just used those, since I no longer need to loosen it while the motor is on the lathe. But I didn't think of that at the time.

Then re-mounting the motor, I just pushed the wires into place under the motor mount. There was plenty of room, and it looked like where the wires were intended to run. Now the next time I have to take off the motor, I won't have to worry about those wires. Just disconnect the motor wires and motor and lift it off.

I had two mishaps reassembling it, both electrical. The electrical box had one wire taped up with electrical tape, so someone had already been in there (or maybe it was inexpertly worked at the factory; this is a possibility. In any case, one of the terminals disintegrated while I was lightly tightening the screw, so it was probably already damaged. I wrapped the now-bare connector, still electrically solid, in electrical tape and kept going. But then, I completely forgot that this thing has capacitors, and hadn't tried to discharge them with a resistor or chicken stick, and I re-learned that capacitors can keep their charge for a long time the hard way. ☹

I went back to the original belt to confirm that it had nothing to do with the problem, and in fact it is running in both directions now without that annoying clicking. I had previously heard a very light clicking and thought it was just normal for this lathe. But now it doesn't make that noise at all.

So as far as I can tell, this was a factory defect that just took a long time to turn into a scary noise.

When I compared the two kinds of belts in my hands, they certainly seemed to be the same length. So I'll keep the AX33 belts around for when the current belts fail, especially if the True-Power V13 x 890 belts don't come back into stock.

Anyway, problem solved!

Well, if I had noticed this in the troubleshooting section I might have resolved the problem faster!

1684897008656.png

Well, if I had noticed this in the troubleshooting section I might have resolved the problem faster!

View attachment 448806
Glad you figured it out! Maybe a bit of a "shame on you" to Grizzly as it gets me how "known" problems get documented in the owner's manual. If you know it's a problem, fix it before selling it!

Reminds me of my experience with a brand new 2007 Chevy Equinox back in the day. We were heading out the next day on a family vacation. Pulled into WalMart for supplies, fired up the car and didn't have any power steering. I didn't see a puddle, so drove it home. Looked at the engine and didn't see a P/S pump. I looked at the rack and didn't see any plumbing from the spool valve to either side of the rack piston. It dawned on me that the Equinox had electric power steering.

Sure enough though the owner's manual mentioned "if your steering has no power assist, stop the car, do an ignition cycle, and it may correct itself". My verbiage isn't word for word to the manual, but essentially that's what it said. I was a quality engineer at GM at the time and hung my head in shame. OBVIOUSLY, we went to production with a known problem and wished it away with an ambiguous note in the owner's manual.

Bruce

I know this is a terrible generalization, but based on personal life experiences, I will never buy Grizzly or GM products again.

P.S. Especially now that Bruce has left GM.

While I would probably save up for a nice PM lathe, probably the PM-1440GT, if I were buying new today, I expect that here to avoid annoyances like this the lathe would have to be significantly more expensive. It's not just this particular quality check, it's all the checks together and it all adds up. So probably "you get what you pay for" and if you put a few grand more into it you can expect higher quality. For me, this one was second hand and something like half the cost of buying new griz, and I am satisfied. As a hobbyist, occasionally learning by fixing or improving is part of the fun for me. Mileage varies, yadda yadda.

While I would probably save up for a nice PM lathe, probably the PM-1440GT, if I were buying new today, I expect that here to avoid annoyances like this the lathe would have to be significantly more expensive. It's not just this particular quality check, it's all the checks together and it all adds up. So probably "you get what you pay for" and if you put a few grand more into it you can expect higher quality. For me, this one was second hand and something like half the cost of buying new griz, and I am satisfied. As a hobbyist, occasionally learning by fixing or improving is part of the fun for me. Mileage varies, yadda yadda.
I have a G0709 and have been very happy with it. Like you mentioned, it was a really good value back in the day. I bought mine 6 years ago for around $4600 from Grizzly. I had a 10% off coupon that covered the shipping. Of course, it has been a slippery slope since; added a DRO, taper attachment, 8" set Tru chuck, 5C collet closer, blah blah blah.

Bruce

Back