G0709 lathe makes snapping/popping noise in reverse

mcdanlj

Registered
Registered
Only while switched on in reverse, and not while coasting to a stop, being turned manually either forward or backwards, or switched on running forward, my G0709 makes a regular snapping noise. The frequency of the noise is always the same and does not vary with the gear selected.

This started just a few days ago. Today when I first started the lathe, it did not make the noise, but after running it for a bit, the noise was back whenever I ran in reverse.

I can't tell by ear whether it is coming from the motor or the electronics cabinet next to it.

Is this a symptom that folks recognize? Bad capacitor in a reverse circuit?

Thanks!

I guess I'll have to open the electronics box and listen through a hose as a stethoscope. It's absolutely regular, though; would a bad contactor do that?

He says it only happens in reverse. I'd think it would happen in both directions if what you're saying is true.
What if he removed the drive belt and ran it?
That would highlight whether the electrical is faulty.

Yeah, I first looked for something loose mechanical in the belt path, but if it were a delaminated belt I'd expect it to continue while running in reverse and slow down after I turn off power while the lathe is idling down. It stops instantly the moment I disengage the run lever.

I'll open the cabinet next and use a hose stethoscope.

I would take off the belt and run it- that would narrow it down a lot

It's happening sometimes in forward too now, and it's inconsistent from run to run. I've been kind of busy outside the shop, and keep forgetting to set aside time for diagnosis, but it's gotten worse recently. I thought I'd maybe order new belts on the theory that I'll need them sooner or later anyway. but then discovered that they are on back order with no ETA.

I don't see gates listing a v13 x 890 so it seems to be a custom part; might be a long time before gates makes another run for grizzly. It also looks like the AX33 belt is 13mm, 889mm outside circumference, 38°, instead of the v13x890's 14mm, 890 outside circumference, 36° specs. And I see that a comment on the Amazon listing for the AX33 includes someone successfully using it as a replacement for a v13x890 on an engine lathe. (The G0782 lists the AX33 belt as OEM, which makes me wonder, though.)

So I think I'll start there.

Huh, the AX33 packaging on the belts that just arrive say that it is "12.5/13mm x 890mm" instead of the 889mm spec I saw on the Gates web site.

I installed the new belt yesterday. It was quite a pain to get the motor horizontal and involved tapping shims in place under the far side of the motor to support it correctly while tightening the motor mount bolts. The motor being normal to the belt axis showed in the slack on the belts being the same.

It made no difference; the clicking is still there.

Like an idiot, I completely forgot the run the motor while the belt was off to determine whether the clicking was in the motor or somewhere in the gear train.

Back