G0704 build in progress

hi bob
The hard part has been making all the parts so they can be assembled with my spot welder. The depth of reach is only 6" on the Harbor Freight spot welder, so I have to keep that in mind when planning and assembling. This design was a concept I had considered for my zx45 mill but the footprint would have been too large for my shop.
We are planning on using glass for the 2 front doors and they will slide sideways, plexi would scratch too easily with repeated cleaning.
steve

Steve (Jumps4) is very much a 'can do' guy. Not only is this thread a testament to his skills, but also to Harbor Freight.
Plenty of people look down their nose at HF tools, but with the exception of a ZX45 mill and its associated tooling I would guess that every other part of this build was performed using HF tools...from bench brake, to band saw, to spot welder, to drill bits, to power tools and hand tools, etc., etc.

High quality expensive tools are nice to own and take pride in, but are by no means essential for accurately building the average project.

Skill and experience can often overcome issues with cheaper tooling, but using high quality tooling won't make up for a lack of it. :))

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this once it's been painted and has the sliding glass doors fitted.

M

Work is progressing great and have some new updated pics. The electronics have been wired and will be tested in the coming week. The enclosure has sliding tempered glass doors installed but still require a bottom guide track which is why there is a gap on the bottom which will be installed next as well has flood lighting which I will get later on in the week. More to come..stay tuned.......

20130715_161726.jpg 20130708_104117.jpg 20130708_154946.jpg 20130708_154955.jpg 20130708_155008.jpg 20130708_161852.jpg 20130708_161904.jpg 20130715_161521.jpg 20130715_161540.jpg 20130715_161611.jpg 20130715_161631.jpg 20130715_161652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your enclosure is awesome. Super nice job you are very talented. What kind of stepper motors are you going to use?

hi colonel
the motors are 1600 oz/in from longs motors on ebay
steve

Flood Coolant Cabinet Painted

Progress has been great and the cabinet has been primed and painted. Test ran the cnc for the first time and all axis are moving. Next is moving the cabinet and reassemble the cnc inside cabinet, install interior lightning and drill holes in cabinet base for flood coolant pump. These are the pics still inside the spray booth with my cell phone, but better photos coming soon. The surface finish is amazing.. more soon..

20130826_151026.jpg 20130826_151016.jpg 20130826_151004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Flood Coolant Cabinet Painted

Progress has been great and the cabinet has been primed and painted. Test ran the cnc for the first time and all axis are moving. Next is moving the cabinet and reassemble the cnc inside cabinet, install interior lightning and drill holes in cabinet base for flood coolant pump. These are the pics still inside the spray booth with my cell phone, but better photos coming soon. The surface finish is amazing.. more soon..

Looking good! It's hard to tell from the pics, but have you matched the color of the enclosure to the 'cream' color of the mill?

M

Hi M,
The color is gloss white and not the cream color of the mill. It was first cleaned with lacquer thinner then primed gray color. The white is rustoleum appliance gloss white spray thick. I may spray the inside bottom half with rhino liner material used in truck beds for the area that is in constant contact with fluid but not too sure yet. This appliance epoxy is some tough paint.

BaconBits,
Every time I look in on your build I end up drooling. The enclosure is awesome and once the paint hardens up and cures it will be nearly indestructible. The Rhino liner on the bottom may not be a great idea because the metal filings will get hung up in the coating and not get filtered out by the recirc pump. Duda Diesel will make you a mesh screen filter in what ever size stainless mesh you want. Just send him a pic or drawing with dimensions and he will whip you one up pretty quick and for a really decent price. I always filter the fluid on the return side of the system and also have a fairly large rare earth magnet close to the intake of the pump to keep bits and chaff from getting in the pump and wearing the volute or wear plate if you're using that style of pump. A small pond pump by Beckett or Toro is pretty cheap and will last literally forever when you filter the fluid pretty well before attempting to pump it. Little Giant pumps are also very good, but quite a bit more expensive. Last time I looked HF even had one for around 8 or 9 bucks too. So keep on snapping them pics and don't keep us holding our breath too much longer, because I am dying to see how it all turns out when it is up and running in your shop.

Bob

Back