Fusion 360

@3strucking
Does anyone here use FreeCAD? I think thats the one I am going to dedicate the time to. I also have a student version of Solidworks.

First read the 3rd paragraph of below...."So, if you want to use FreeCAD..."

I agree it takes a lot of time to learn big software packages and if you walk a way for a few months you have to learn a lot of stuff over. I have used FreeCAD, but not for quite a while. In fact, I am not for sure my install even still works. I used it to make a few things and to design some gears. I am not an expert on FreeCAD or Fusion 360, but FreeCAD seems to do everything that 360 does, but is not as polished. I seldom need to make very complicated 3-D items, so I usually just write my own G-code by hand. It is not that hard and after you do it a few times then you get faster plus you have a personal library of bits of code to work from. However, FreeCAD does have a hand full of G-code generators. Anyway, the best I can tell the general concept of 3D design is the same in all of the packages. You just have to learn new command syntax and there placement in the menus when you go from one to another. I have an old 2-D VISIO package and I am old school (high school mechanical drafting--pencil/paper and T-square and parallel bar) so I usually do my drawings in 2-D. So VISIO is fine. It runs faster and is simpler to learn and comes with many pre-drawn objects. However, my old Visio package does not generate G-code, but others have worked on this.. VISIO is a MS OFFICE add on and so it not free.

I also played with Fusion360, but quit when they started changing the rules plus they now require that one runs Win10 or higher and I still use Win7. There is no doubt that 360 is slicker package, but this is to be expected for software that you have to pay for. (I have a lot of other scientific software that cost a lot of money, but which would not run on OS platforms above Win7, unless you repurchase it... so I have stayed with Win7. Besides I had bad experiences with some of the early OSs that came after Win7.) I have a number of reasonably decent computers and on one of my favorites I installed Win10 just for situations like this, but I still prefer Win7. This computer is used to run some automated experiments, in Win7, that I designed, but have not used for a while. So I just pulled the HDD, installed Win10, and when I need to I just swap HDDs to jump from Win7 to Win10 etc.

So, if you want to use FreeCAD or other packages built on Python I suggest that you first install a shell called "Anaconda Navigator". It will automatically install all of the Python packages for you and a number of other applications... and set things up for the FreeCAD install which requires Python for some parts. It also contains another package called Conda which is a package for installing various parts, but you do not need to worry about it for now. There are a lot of other packages besides FreeCAD that will run from this shell and some of them are automatically installed. Anaconda automatically loads itself and Python and lots of small packages so it takes some time to boot up. Once it is installed and running it seems pretty fast. If I recall correctly, once installed, FreeCAD and Python will run independently from Anaconda, but Anaconda is good to have installed as it puts all of the needed parts in the folders where they can be found by the various applications. By the way, if you have already installed FreeCAD or Python I suggest that you uninstall them first then install Anaconda followed by the FreeCAD install. By the way Python is an interpretative language rather than being compiled. This allows you to see what is going on in many of the subroutine packages. My understanding is that some the core parts are complied C-programs and so over all it is still pretty fast.

A similar comparison between FreeCAD and Fusion 360 is the comparison of MatLab (scientific math package) and Python math/science package (also can run under Anaconda). You can do anything in Python that you can do in MatLab, but MatLab is definitely more polished and in this case is easier to recall after memories of written code have faded.

By the way, every machine controller seems to use its own version of G-code! However, the basic commands seem to be pretty common. Anyway, for any CAD generated g-code you will want to check it out manually before running it on you machine. Start simple. Oh, well another reason to know how to write G-code from scratch. The CAD packages also ususally have a simulator to illustrate what the G-code is doing.

Good Luck.

Dave L.

I built FreeCAD from source. Had to download the dependencies, but that wasn't an issue, the instructions are on the FreeCAD site. I'm using Linux though, so installing stuff like python or even gcc is available from one's package manager. Overall, it was one of the simpler source code builds. The build does take a while, like go for a coffee break amount of time. I have had a few rare issues where something didn't work, and the developers pushed a fix to source, and I built the code and all was well. The total turn around time from posting to a forum to a working version on my computer was less than an hour.

Messing with it some more this morning.
So far I have not even been able to draw a dam line on the screen.
Frustrating.
@finsruskw
Open Fusion.
Then follow the steps in the following screenshots. That will get you your first line. You now know 0.0005% of what Fusion can do. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-17 102104.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-17 102104.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Fusion 1.png
    Fusion 1.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Fusion 2.png
    Fusion 2.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Fusion 3.png
    Fusion 3.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Fusion 4.png
    Fusion 4.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Fusion 5.png
    Fusion 5.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 47
Does anyone here use FreeCAD? I think thats the one I am going to dedicate the time to. I also have a student version of Solidworks.
A little over one year ago, I started a thread on learning FreeCAD. I suggest you read the first two posts in this thread. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/freecad-really-just-getting-started.97314/ To save you some trouble, this is what devils4ever suggested, and I ended up using. I never finished the whole series, but I did make a serious go at it and completed about 75%. It was enough to get me proficient enough to do my own designs.
I would suggest viewing YT videos called "FreeCAD for Beginners" by Adventures in Creation. He as a series from #1 to #27 (so far). Very good and detailed while not getting bogged down.

@finsruskw
Open Fusion.
Then follow the steps in the following screenshots. That will get you your first line. You now know 0.0005% of what Fusion can do. ;)

I was going to do the same thing, but got busy on other things. Good Job!

I tried Free Cad once or twice; I had already learned the basics of Fusion 360. But I didn't like Free Cad.

A lot of CAD is a matter of preference, and what you've learned before. I've used Creo Elements Direct (even before it took on that name) and Solidworks, then on my own FreeCAD, VariCAD, TurboCAD, and Alibre. The parametric model really resonated with me, and I ended up being an Alibre fan. (Fan of the SW, not the company...)

In any case, I think it has a lot to do with your previous CAD experience (if any), the way you think about things (if you think... ;-)), and, particularly for newcomers, how hard it is to just draw a box...

At the end of the day, they'll all do the same thing. Learning one will help you learn the next - but you won't learn any of them without a lot of practice and repeated use. I find myself here all the time. I can muddle through a few designs in <whatever> then set it aside for quite a while and it's like starting over again when you come back. Not a problem for the person who uses it every day, but definitely a problem for we duffers. I also used to surrender to pencil and paper, but by forcing myself to use my CAD program of choice I've gotten better - and I'm speaking of recent developments! The more you force yourself to use CAD, the faster and more natural it will be, no matter what you're using.

GsT

FWIW - there is a Fusion 360 sub-forum on this site, and we recently spent quite a bit of time helping someone struggling to learn some aspects of Fusion.

Fusion (like and full featured CAD) can be difficult to wrap your head around if you are completely new to CAD. I've been using it recreationally for about 5 years and it has for me been worth the effort to become fluent with it. I bought a 3 year license and feel that the $20 something a month is a fair value proposition.

If you are struggling with something in Fusion, consider asking in the forum here on HM. There are a lot of helpful people here that know different parts of Fusion.

(not intending to high-jack the thread)

FWIW - there is a Fusion 360 sub-forum on this site, and we recently spent quite a bit of time helping someone struggling to learn some aspects of Fusion.

Fusion (like and full featured CAD) can be difficult to wrap your head around if you are completely new to CAD. I've been using it recreationally for about 5 years and it has for me been worth the effort to become fluent with it. I bought a 3 year license and feel that the $20 something a month is a fair value proposition.

If you are struggling with something in Fusion, consider asking in the forum here on HM. There are a lot of helpful people here that know different parts of Fusion.

(not intending to high-jack the thread)
Can you link me to that tread please?
Thanks!

Back