Fun with a cheap stick welder

My wife Lisa said she married me because I _wasn't_ a farmer. Then she started turning me into one (I didn't protest overmuch) :D. Learning to weld is just part of that progression! Once I get somewhat proficient, one of the first things I want to make is a set of forks to attach to the front loader. They look like they could be handy for all sorts of things. And Lisa has pointed out some trellis designs I "should look at".....

I didn't get any 70XX rod to try because it's been my impression that it's sensitive to moisture. Living in western Oregon we tend to get a lot of that there moisture. I see you live in Bremerton so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have a toaster oven I bought specifically for tempering home-made springs and hardened alloy steel. Is it OK to dry rod out in an oven heated to ~200F or so, then use it to weld? If so, I'll add 7014 to my library.
The last few weeks My wife and I stayed in Amboy, near Woodland and Fort Stevens, Seaside.
Man, what beautiful country.
The vivid green growth, healthy trees and crisp clean air, wild flowers galore.
I know you pay for that with drizzle and rain but we Northern Californians sure did enjoy it.
I want to go back.
Around Roseburg it started to dry out heading south.

Not sure if this rule applies to dc but for ac the thickness of the rod dictates the current
for example 1/8" rod = 0.125" = 125 amps approximately
When you master the art of welding you'll feel like a bunny flying first class with a bow tie:

That rule works very well for non-cellulosic electrodes.

For cellulosic electrodes, from my previous use:

3/32" 6010/11 usually work from 40-80A on DCEP, 6011 about 5A higher if on AC.
1/8" 6010/11 usually work well from 50-100 on DCEP, 6011 about 5-10A higher if on AC.

For other basic/rutile electrodes, ~1A per 0.001" of rod diameter then works very well.

Back