FT-1 and DRO Install

D. Kent

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally powered up a new to me FT-1 and looking at placing a set of scales on it and was curious if anyone had recommendations from experience? Seems like a few knock-off brands that follow Acu-rite form. Was thinking glass scales.

This is a different mill but maybe you can get some ideas from it.

This is a different mill but maybe you can get some ideas from it.
Thanks for sharing your project a few years back Eddyde. I'm starting to gather that I'd be stuck locating and drilling my own mount holes. In your case, it looked like you made a few custom parts with locate pins for the scales. Were the holes that you fastened your brackets to the carriage already pre-existing? The thought of hand drilling holes for such a measuring device spooks me. I have a mag drill and could probably handle the knee for the Z axis with the room avaiable, but the carriage appears a little daunting, other than pull apart and have another shop drill the mount holes on the carriage and back side of the table?

Last edited:
Acu-Rite are nice DRO's I put one on my first mill, but these days they are much more expensive then generic DRO's, and harder to justify the expense. On a mill where you may want other DRO functions such as feed rates, calculators, drilling calculations, other functions that are easier to use, then I prefer a graphical display. There are also other aspects such as the button types, durability, reliability, but these can be found in $500-600 DRO packages with scales. The price difference between glass and magnetic scales has also narrowed, the latter is easier to install and may offer better immunity to contamination. Glass scale are all pretty similar and accurate, the difference is often in the construction and lip seals, this can become more relevant if one is using flood coolant.

As much as I like the Acu-Rite, your are looking at 2K or more for a 3 axis model, I would be hard pressed to say that it would be any better then other less expensive offerings. Ditron is pretty popular low cost DRO which comes with either glass or magnetic scales, next step up would the Easson 12B or C, Aikron, EL700/MX-200M, and then Acu-Rite DR203, Newall DP700

Lots of install information at DRO Pros, it is not as difficult as you think. I hand drill all the holes and installed a 4 axis on my knee mill.

Consider using epoxy to mount your scales if you'd rather not drill- it's not a terribly high strength application
If your brackets have enough surface area it should be plenty strong, and you can always make custom brackets

I installed an Easson 3 axis on my Jet knee mill using a hand drill. I had to fabricate a few mounting parts. Not all that hard to do. The mounting parts allow some adjustment. Instructions that came with were OK with a bit of added thinking. I've been happy with the results, hobby use. Lots of functions to learn to use.

I went with a 3 axis Acu-Rite on my FTV-1 and super happy with it. Just took a while watching ebay to piece together a system of lightly used/ "new open box" components that cost half of retail. Install was pretty straight forward using the Acu-Rite supplied brackets.

Thanks for sharing your project a few years back Eddyde. I'm starting to gather that I'd be stuck locating and drilling my own mount holes. In your case, it looked like you made a few custom parts with locate pins for the scales. Were the holes that you fastened your brackets to the carriage already pre-existing? The thought of hand drilling holes for such a measuring device spooks me. I have a mag drill and could probably handle the knee for the Z axis with the room avaiable, but the carriage appears a little daunting, other than pull apart and have another shop drill the mount holes on the carriage and back side of the table?
There were threaded holes available to mount the X & Y axises but they didn't work with the mounts that cam with the scales, so I made custom ones from aluminum bar and plate. I did have to drill for the Z axis but the mag drill made it pretty easy.
Before I had the mag drill, I use to make guide blocks for drilling and tapping holes in such situations.

Wow, great info. Yeah, I took a second look at my mill and the existing manual guide can be used for Y and it looks like use of a mag drill could handle the couple at the carriage and the back of the bed. Looks like some planning is in order.

I have pics of how I mounted the table scales on my FTV-3. Pretty straightforward. I used the supplied mounts as stock for the brackets. It was easiest to just design on the fly and make it fit rather than pencil it out.

IMAG1116.jpgIMAG1118.jpg

Back