[How-To] Freeing a stuck spindle nut

It should have a stamp that says LH or RH to say the threads it took me an hour to find it then realize that I was pounding the wrong way!

Thanks for all the great replies. Braeden P., thank you for sharing the pics of your spindle. Very interesting. Mine appears to be different as my slot looks like a nut with a right handed thread. There is also an internal thread on the wheel adapter that fits a wheel puller, I believe, once the nut is removed. I’m learning all this as I go.

View attachment 372159
That is definitely a LEFT handed thread!

Thanks for all the great replies. Braeden P., thank you for sharing the pics of your spindle. Very interesting. Mine appears to be different as my slot looks like a nut with a right handed thread. There is also an internal thread on the wheel adapter that fits a wheel puller, I believe, once the nut is removed. I’m learning all this as I go.

View attachment 372159
The axle is left hand and shell look to be right.

If you have nuts that thread onto the outside then jamb them so you can turn it.

Now you can get it apart one layer at a time...

Old Motorola banana cell phones were like this.

Remove battery then first screws were left handed unto support studs.

Customers would think locktight since they would not come out .

It also made sure the removal of the screws tightened the studs below.

Yours is to insure less self destruction while in use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The pic shows the internal thread of the outer case being right handed. Any idea what that's for? Agreed that the inner set of threads are left handed.

Got an impact gun? Find a socket that fits inside and grind it so you get two protrusions that nearly fit the slots. Make up a soft ali pin spanner to hold the spindle still and have at it. It may sound brutal, but you're not putting any bending forces on anything and percussive persuasion has the best chance of anything getting that to budge.

Good luck!

The pic shows the internal thread of the outer case being right handed. Any idea what that's for? Agreed that the inner set of threads are left handed.

Got an impact gun? Find a socket that fits inside and grind it so you get two protrusions that nearly fit the slots. Make up a soft ali pin spanner to hold the spindle still and have at it. It may sound brutal, but you're not putting any bending forces on anything and percussive persuasion has the best chance of anything getting that to budge.

Good luck!

The "inner thread of the outer case" is for a puller. After the spindle nut (innermost thread, left hand) is removed, the puller screws into the right hand thread and a bolt that is part of the puller presses on the end of the spindle to pull the wheel adapter off the taper.

William Sopko & Sons is the most well-known maker of wheel adapters and other grinder spindle accessories. Their catalog has a lot of useful info. Here is a page showing the pullers (the most common one is on top): http://www.wmsopko.com/sopko_82.htm

They have pages and pages of wheel adapters, but the first page here shows the most common ones. http://www.wmsopko.com/sopko_04_to_30_71.htm

Success. The ATF/acetone plus a little heat did the trick. It is a left handed slotted nut. The pics also show the puller I used to remove the adapter once the retaining nut was freed. It screws into the inside threads on the adapter.

0a402013d8d444237913fa6459d9b6e5.jpg

Thank you everyone who replied to my question.
fb7dec06cef16cce8d8f6adf440c4c2c.jpg

cfbedc582db75521b50930386e5783b5.jpg

65b95d374070951ef85de04884284371.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7E5D93B3-A459-48B8-93A6-4CD0CCAD7031.jpeg

Back