[How-To] Freeing a stuck spindle nut

TDPurcell

Registered
Registered
I’ve got a Boyar-Schultz 612 surface grinder, and the wheel adaptor appears to be held in place on the spindle with a slotted spindle nut as shown in the pic. I finally located a spindle wrench at MSC Direct that will fit the slotted nut. However, the nut is seized onto the spindle and won’t budge.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks to try to free up the slotted nut? I have tried only WD40 thus far and thought I better ask around before I tear something up.

I appreciate any input and ideas. Thanks.

I
6964523d165d4afbd8ce53a2a5ebe0f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mix up some 'super penetrant', half ATF, half (cripes, I can't remember, but it's super thin stuff). Someone will come along and tell you what I can't. Its excellent, but may need several applications. The (stuff I can't remember) creeps into the stuck joint, carrying with it the ATF which lubricates the joint.

Acetone, of course. Thanks, Aukai.

Last edited:
On my boyar Shultz the slot is part of the arbor that you hold so that you can tighten the nut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
PB Blaster or atf, and acetone 50:50. If that fails, careful heat application. If that is the proper disassembly procedure you are trying :)

Start by getting 100% sure which part is threaded and which hand it is!!!

See if you can use thermal expansion to get some clearance. For a superb expensive part I would think about a bored and split heavy Aluminum block heated with a torch and clamped on. Less expensive I would use the torch directly.

Dont be afraid to heat and cool it multiple times with penetrant oil between!

Oh, and freeze spray.or canned air upside down can be used to shrink stuff too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve had good luck with Kroil Penetrating oil. Use in good ventilation

Thanks for all the great replies. Braeden P., thank you for sharing the pics of your spindle. Very interesting. Mine appears to be different as my slot looks like a nut with a right handed thread. There is also an internal thread on the wheel adapter that fits a wheel puller, I believe, once the nut is removed. I’m learning all this as I go.

D8AD967E-D242-4EC9-9E1D-DDF532F16424.jpeg

Damn! Do ya' think they threaded enough parts there???
You need to figure out which part is going to turn!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Upon further research, it may be left handed thread on the slotted nut as shown in the first pic. The directions in the manual are vague.

Attachments

• E7A3728B-FACE-4536-9DF6-0A9A2FE8F3CB.jpeg
    E7A3728B-FACE-4536-9DF6-0A9A2FE8F3CB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141
Back