"free" stop

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
I was machine a number of pieces on the mill today and needed a stop so that each piece could be positioned quickly and accurately.

I turned to the hold-down clamping kit and tried to use the stair stepped triangles and toe clamps.
Then I noticed all I needed was a t-nut, and regular nut, a studd, another regular nut and a coupling nut.

cell-stuff04.JPG

T-nut and regular nut clamp the stud to the bed.
regular nut and coupling nut make a flat plane to work as a stop.

This worked better than expected--nice and stiff with precise locations and easy adjustment.

As long as it works it does not have to be fancy. Use what you have on hand.

I was machine a number of pieces on the mill today and needed a stop so that each piece could be positioned quickly and accurately.

I turned to the hold-down clamping kit and tried to use the stair stepped triangles and toe clamps.
Then I noticed all I needed was a t-nut, and regular nut, a studd, another regular nut and a coupling nut.

View attachment 249035

This worked better than expected--nice and stiff with precise locations and easy adjustment.
Great idea, Mitch.

I went to the trouble of fabricating a home-made stop out of scrap aluminum (so, 'nearly' free), but I like your elegantly simple solution better.

Regards

View attachment 249035

Had to do some repetitive cuts on 1 1/2" x 1/8" cold rolled. Used this method and went away asking, "Why didn't I think of this sooner?" Talk about easy!

Thanks for the idea.

Regards,
Terry

Back