"free" stop

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
I was machine a number of pieces on the mill today and needed a stop so that each piece could be positioned quickly and accurately.

I turned to the hold-down clamping kit and tried to use the stair stepped triangles and toe clamps.
Then I noticed all I needed was a t-nut, and regular nut, a studd, another regular nut and a coupling nut.

cell-stuff04.JPG

T-nut and regular nut clamp the stud to the bed.
regular nut and coupling nut make a flat plane to work as a stop.

This worked better than expected--nice and stiff with precise locations and easy adjustment.

Sometimes we amaze ourselves. That's the way it should be.

As long as it works it does not have to be fancy. Use what you have on hand.

I was machine a number of pieces on the mill today and needed a stop so that each piece could be positioned quickly and accurately.

I turned to the hold-down clamping kit and tried to use the stair stepped triangles and toe clamps.
Then I noticed all I needed was a t-nut, and regular nut, a studd, another regular nut and a coupling nut.

View attachment 249035

This worked better than expected--nice and stiff with precise locations and easy adjustment.
Great idea, Mitch.

I went to the trouble of fabricating a home-made stop out of scrap aluminum (so, 'nearly' free), but I like your elegantly simple solution better.

Regards

View attachment 249035

Had to do some repetitive cuts on 1 1/2" x 1/8" cold rolled. Used this method and went away asking, "Why didn't I think of this sooner?" Talk about easy!

Thanks for the idea.

Regards,
Terry

Back