*** FREE CAD Software***

HSS

Active User
Registered
I used to use GenericCadd and really liked it. It was easy to use but only 2D and no wireframe. I haven't used it in a few harddrives so I lost it. I downloaded the followup to it and I think it was called GCadd but it isn't the same. It has the same commands and shortcuts so maybe it's just my poor memory. I also have Autocad 14 and went to school on Autocad 10 but that has been a while and then there's the memory...... What was I saying?

Pat

I have used Catia from Dassault Systems, Adobe Inventor/Autocad, Alibre Expert, Solidworks and others - all professionally as an engineer.

Never seen anything that we do outside of CNC that requires more than the simplest 2D CAD package. I use Google Sketchup - because its free and immediately available on the net.

I agree that 3D models that you can download are very handy for working up projects, but in order to really become comfortable with the drafting/designing software, an individual needs to spend as much time as practical actually drawing. I do most of my work in 2D, using ACAD. I have Solidworks, but for the most part, I have decent spatial perception, and find that solid models take too long and since I am not into FEA, I don't really need them. It's probable that I just am not proficient in SW, and that's why I find it cumbersome. Also, most of the parts I make come to me from customers who furnish models and/or drawings.

But then, I'm like Ed.....I draw most everything. Just staying in practice, plus it uncovers mistake in the dimensions if there are any. I always loved paper and pen drafting from school, but CAD makes it downright fun. Especially if you have a plotter!

Bill, thanks for posting this resource. Everybody should give CAD a try. Makes for great notes on jobs to follow up.

Generic CADD went through various adventures- being purchased by Autocad was one of the worst. I think the Windows version was also sold by Corel for a while. Ultimately it was bought back and updated and is now available through TriTools Partners as VisualCADD for Windows. IMO, it's the best 2D package out there, but few people will spend any money at all for 2D. It's a few hundred bucks. Its a 3D world in industry now, and one simply has to know SolidWorks or ProE. IMHO, there's a lot of pretty 3D model generation going on, but many have lost the mental skills necessary to visualize things from 2D views. 3D modeling also seems to result in prints for the shop having idiotic dimensions and tolerances because nobody understands process anymore. I still use 2D VisualCADD for most things, and am just as happy as if I were in my right mind.

Conrad

I'm glad to hear that Conrad, about the visual cad, not your mind. LOL I tried Sketchup and got bogged down. I couldn't get it to do what I wanted so I quit using it. I haven't used autocad in several years and if you don't use it, you lose it. At least in my case. So, are the keyboard commands the same in VisualCADD as they were in Generic CADD? If so, I may take a look at Visual CADD. Thanks for the info.

Pat

You should go to the TriTools site where you can download a free fully functional copy of VisualCADD. I think it expires in 30 days. Operation is the way you'd expect a Windows program to operate, as opposed to Autocad, which I always found a bit peculiar/backwards. VisualCADD supports the same or similar 2-letter commands as Generic did, so if you're used to that you can really fly. It also has the expected customizable menu/icon system. If I had a complaint, it would be that the latest version is so customizable I never get every single thing exactly the way I want it. Much of my use is for machining templates, meter faces and other graphics where I need better-than-the-typical-cad graphics and text support, plus dead-nuts accuracy in printing, and VisualCADD has always come through for me. They haven't had an upgrade for a year or two now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did fairly soon. OTOH, it's so stable and feature rich, not much is needed. If you have a copy of Autocad or various other things, I think they still offer a discount "upgrade" that will save you a bunch of bucks. (most support is at their Yahoo group now)

Best,
Conrad

[size=14pt]Hey I have a question!
How can I make my drawing table look like graph paper in draftsight? I'm not good at free hand
drawing, so I use graph paper to draw on to see my design. Thanks for any info.
Glen
[/size]

I've got TurboCAD Professional 18 on both my computers. I bought it years ago with the intention of using it for drawing circuits and enclosures but life went in different directions. I've continued to keep it upgraded and current and now I actually have a different use for it with the lathe and machining.

-Ron

Back