Fray All Angle C

MG42gunner

Registered
Registered
Hey all, new to the forum. I just picked up this old Fray all angle milling head. It's attached to a steptoe base (old horizontal mill). The drawbar on it is completely dicked up. It had a 1/2 inch end mill holder in it when I got it. The lever and handle for the depth was broken when I got it. But... for free I'm not complaining at all. The person had an estate sale and wanted it the hell out of thier garage.

Has anyone here made a draw bar? If so what did you use? I can't imagine they're crazy difficult to make. I have my lathe to cut the threads but just need a little guidance on materials.

Also, anyone that might have one of these or experience with them. Do #7 collets fit? Or what is supposed to go in them? I believe the holder I knocked out of it was a MT2 but haven't measured it yet. 20201126_193835.jpg

Welcome to the group!

Has anyone here made a draw bar? If so what did you use?

For my big Cincinnati mill vertical head I needed a couple different draw-bars since some collets/end-mill holders had different size threaded holes.
I used simple all-thread.
Get a full piece, assemble it as needed then mark and cut off the extra sticking out the top.
I use long coupler nuts at the top end of the draw-bar, because you need to smack it to unseat the taper below.
The long nut spreads the load over many more threads, and saves the end of the threaded rod from getting mushroomed.

-brino

ooops forgot this one:

Also, anyone that might have one of these or experience with them. Do #7 collets fit? Or what is supposed to go in them? I believe the holder I knocked out of it was a MT2 but haven't measured it yet.

This page:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/fray/

says:
The drive for horizontal milling was arranged by mounting the swivelling head well to one side of the main column to make room for a simply-constructed arrangement that consisted of a semi-steel housing that held a 30-International taper spindle with a motor mounted parallel to it. To help customers, Fray offered adaptors to convert the regular 30-International taper to either a No. 7 B & S, or a No. 2 or 3 Morse.

...however that appears to apply to the horizontal spindle.....there's no indication if it also applies to the vertical spindle.

I'll poke around a little more and post back if I find anything.....

-brino

okay one more find.....

That same page at lathes.co.uk says:

The spindle was fitted with a No. 3 Morse taper, but the bore through the quill would only just pass a 3/8" drawbar; this meant that even relatively old versions of collet chucks like the Clarkson had to be either heli-coiled down to 3/8", or a drawbar made up with a 1/2" end.

in the section titled " B-Type Head " just after just over half-way down the page.

Is your head marked with type?
You may have to measure very carefully to figure it out.

Good Luck!
-brino

EDIT: there are also some PDF manuals available here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2216&tab=3

okay one more find.....

That same page at lathes.co.uk says:

in the section titled " B-Type Head " just after just over half-way down the page.

Is your head marked with type?
You may have to measure very carefully to figure it out.

Good Luck!
-brino

I've found that page and they have a very small blurb on on the Type C head. Which is the one I have. I ordered a set of B&S 7 collets after finding that little bit of info. I was hoping someone would have first hand experience with these.

Good info on the drawbar, thanks. I wasn't sure if regular zinc plated thread rod would be too soft. Or if i needed something out of 4140 or the like.

Back