fowler electronic (digital ) micrometer

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone have a pair of these if so how do you like them are they accurate? ??

umahunter,
Do you have a pic, link, or specific model number?

Daryl
MN

I'm pretty sure new Fowler digital stuff is no different than garden variety Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowler make a lot of calipers. I purchased one of their less expensive models. I have not attempted to calibrate so cannot comment on absolute accuracy. My main complaint of many Chinese calipers is battery consumption. Many have high battery drain even when "Off".

This model has "On" but no "Off". It turns off after a short period of no use. I have been happy with the battery life. Seems to not consume much when in it is in the "Off" mode.

http://www.fowlerprecision.com/Prod...o-Cal-IV-Electronic-Caliper-54-100-330-1.html

Fowler make a lot of calipers. I purchased one of their less expensive models. I have not attempted to calibrate so cannot comment on absolute accuracy. My main complaint of many Chinese calipers is battery consumption. Many have high battery drain even when "Off".

This model has "On" but no "Off". It turns off after a short period of no use. I have been happy with the battery life. Seems to not consume much when in it is in the "Off" mode.

http://www.fowlerprecision.com/Prod...o-Cal-IV-Electronic-Caliper-54-100-330-1.html

I've had the Fowler Euro-Cal IV for about 2 years. Mine has an on/off button. I like the large display. It is smooth and checked with standards and gage blocks throughout the range it is always within .001 and on most checks right on. The jaws come together properly no gaps and no rocking of the movable jaw. Not bad for $40.00 on sale. The CR2032 battery lasts a long time. The fractional readings are useless to me. I have 2 Fowler inexpensive ($25-$30) non digital micrometers that I lend out to unfriendly friends. They don't usually ask to borrow them again. All made in China. You get what you pay for if you are lucky. Most Fowler middle of the price range tools are good enough for home hobby non critical projects. The Fowler Bore-Setter kit is a very good buy and very good quality. Comes with gage blocks too. I've not tried the digital micrometers though.

Last edited:
Be careful of electronic digital mics from Fowler, they have very small soft plastic function keys like on off. They are so small they do not work when pushed by your comparatively large and soft finger tip, so you end up having to hit the soft key with the fingernail to push it effectively in. Over a short period of time the soft keys wear out from being operated by your fingernail. The curved surface battery cover is also another problem, very tight fit, flimsy and light weight not a good match, issues soon developed there also. The electronic digital mics are also quite large and bulky compared to a manual or manual digit reading mic. Mine works very well, but gets no use because of these issues. I went thru 3 of the Fowler manual digit reading mics before I got a good one from Enco, anymore I just stay away from Fowler, most of their low and medium price stuff can be bought no name for less. Electronic Mics and calipers have no place in my shop, too much trouble, very little upside.

Thanks for the info after looking at some of thier models I've noticed some aren't that much of a savings from mitutoyo 1 inch mics so I may just save for a set of the mitutoyo digimatic

Back