*** Found *** Wtb - South Bend Lead Screw For B Model - 45 1/2" Long

pbkelley

Registered
Registered
Trying to upgrade my C to a B and need a good Lead Screw. Around a 45 1/2" long.

Need it shipped to 30127.

Thanks, Patrick

I picked up several lead screws over a year ago.
Seller wasn't sure if they were from an Atlas or SB.
If you have specs on the pitch and diameter, then I'll check to see if I have anything that would work for you.

Daryl
MN

Daryl 'm pretty sure its a 3/4" - 8 TPI lead screw with the key slot cut in it over the entire length.

Chandler - I'll send him an email.

Thanks!

FYI, I don't know about the SB screws but all but two of the Atlas ones for 9", 10" and 12" are 5/8" dia. at the headstock end, even if the threads are 3-4"-8.

Yes, this one will have 5/8" on end and 1/2" on the other if I'm not mistaken.

Patrick

If you're up grading from a model C to a B, all you have to do is take your existing lead screw and mill a 3/16 x 1/8" deep key way down the length of the lead screw, provided you have a mill to do this operation. If not, I bet you can get one of us on H-M do this for you. I did this to the lead screw on my lathe when I upgraded from a model C to a A. A little more modification of the lead screw was needed to use with a QCGB.

BTW- what is the length of your bed. I'll check my pile of stuff and see what I have on hand. I have a couple of spares that I bought for spares I may let go of.
Ken

"If you're up grading from a model C to a B, all you have to do is take your existing lead screw and mill a 3/16 x 1/8" deep key way down the length of the lead screw, provided you have a mill to do this operation."

I don't have a mill yet! This might just be what I need to push me over. I have a machine shop up the road I could have do it. I didn't think it would be this hard to find one.

I have a 48" Bed.

This is the condition I received these lead screws in. Honestly, I didn't do it!
And I've not yet made any attempts to clean them up.
As you can see there are two. One is just the screw.
Length is 46.5inches. OD on the threads is .75
Additional data?
I have no idea what they came off, and they guy I got them from didn't know either.
I don't know what they are worth. But am sure we can work something out.
Even if no one is interested, if someone is able to help identify what them might fit, that would be helpful in finding them a home.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

Last edited:
Daryl,

OK. I don't know what they do fit but it isn't any Atlas. The right end of all of the Atlas lead screws (except for the 6", which are even smaller) are 1/2" dia. And the right bearing is 1/2" ID and symmetrical.

Back