FOUND IT!! - WTB: 6-Jaw 1-1/2 x 8 TPI Lathe Chuck

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Since Matt (@mattthemuppet2 ) jumped on it :D ... who wouldn't!! I decided to create this WTB post...

Looking for a 4", 5" or 6", 6-Jaw 1-1/2 x 8 TPI Lathe Chuck...

I can find decently priced alternatives on eBay - like this one, but looking for something that is of better quality. This is for my Logan 820.

Something like a Buck Adjustru or some other quality brand...

Found this one on eBay but it looks beat up and fixed with JB-Weld to hide the damages...

Why a 6-Jaw? Because of its incredible holding power by doubling the contact points. Really valuable on thin walled materials where deflection can be an issue.

Who am I kidding... I want one because they look super cool and look like a Transformer ready to kill me... :p
transformer.jpg

Last edited:
weeeellll, I actually have two 5" Buck Adjustru 6 jaws that pontiac428's 6 jaw is replacing. One had inside jaws and one has outside jaws (I bought it just for the jaws!). Only one key and one backplate between them, never got round to making the second backplate but they're easy enough to buy off amazon and modify. One is a little beat up, but the other one is pretty tight. Interested?

weeeellll, I actually have two 5" Buck Adjustru 6 jaws that pontiac428's 6 jaw is replacing. One had inside jaws and one has outside jaws (I bought it just for the jaws!). Only one key and one backplate between them, never got round to making the second backplate but they're easy enough to buy off amazon and modify. One is a little beat up, but the other one is pretty tight. Interested?
I am confused... but that is common for me... lol... let me send you a PM

Why a 6-Jaw? Because of its incredible holding power by doubling the contact points.
This is what most people think, I did too at one time, but it is quite the opposite. A 3-jaw will hold onto a part much stronger than a 6-jaw. Yes a 6-jaw is great for holding thin wall parts (exactly what I needed one for for) but it really has more disadvantages than advantages compared to a 3-jaw. 6-jaw is not great at holding stock that is slightly out of round. They're really considered a 2nd operation chuck.

With that said, I still love my 6-jaw & still use it the most than my other chucks. But when I need a lot of gripping power I'll switch to my 3-jaw or 4-jaw indy.

BTW, I have that CME 6-jaw in your ebay link. I had a few issues with mine but mostly cosmetic. One of my jaws was not ground well but it doesn't affect functionality & I'm assuming it was just the one I got. But it doesn't bother me much cause I only use it for my rotary table or directly on the mill table. Plus it was much cheaper back when I bought it.

Post #13, post #18 was clean up
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-leads-me-to-believe.21330/page-2#post-187950

What the heck does one use an 8-jaw independent chuck for anyway? I wanna see them use this instead for the "4-jaw" contest at The Bash.

Back