Found a use for broken slitting saw or homegrown parting tool..

Yumamechanic

Registered
Registered
So in my pile of scrap stuff was an old broken slitting saw....next to it was some steel.......
Being in need of a parting tool since I shattered mine during an overly deep enthusiastic interrupted cut on 4140...
I considered. ..then pondered then took some measurements...and said what can I lose.
So I quickly knocked up a AXA size tool holder blank from some scrap mild steel, then drilled and tapped it for 1/2 × 20tpi bolt....then looked around for a generic something to act as a clamp...found a derelict cut off piece of aluminum. And proceeded to bodge everything together in a most redneck fashion.
The pictures attached show the basic tool and a piece of Steel it was cut off so that you can see how it goes together.
At this point I'm not sure I would recommend doing this for fun but I can tell you but I was able to push this much harder and with less chatter and vibration then the standard cut off tool and should 1 Edge get dull or damaged there are many more.
I will be improving on this aND adding a second lock to the back section of the saw blade. I will also be drilling and tapping for screw height adjustment.
I am sure I can't be the only one who gets saved by scraps....nor the only one who has thought of it, but I figured if I shared this basic idea than perhaps it would help someone else on a Saturday when no tools can be bought and a job needs to be done.
Let me know what you think.

Sean

1484426394611-520869971.jpg

14844264983511509426058.jpg

14844265509241979213412.jpg

That is a good use for an otherwise nearly useless piece of tooling. Great thinking!

Abundant used carbide 7 1/4" x 1/8" and 3/32" blades out there gotta sharpen them tho
IMG_0472.JPG
Not my pic, but it can work good if the carbide is still there and honed

Back