Found a Bridgeport nearby

Don J

Registered
Registered
Been looking for a couple years. There's just not much in the Florida panhandle. But this one showed up recently only about 15 miles away. I haven't gone to look at it yet. Seller has had it for about 20 years. 1HP, 3 phase with phase converter. He thinks it's a 1965 model. And it's currently under power. Asking $2,500. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the different versions of Bridgeports (Series 1, Series 2, J head, M head, R head, etc.).

If it's a tight machine, is this price reasonable?

Attachments

• 40987_n.jpg
    40987_n.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 111
That's not unreasonable these days considering what a small overseas made mill costs . Step pulley head which some prefer , phase converter ( most likely a static ) , Vise could be a Kurt or a clone of one all add up . Any tooling to go with it ? That's where the $$$$ plays a part .

One thing I see that doesn't set right with me , or you either , running an end mill in a drill chuck is a no no . :grin:

I don't know what the going rate is down that way. But that sound about right what people are asking for a machine in that appearance.

Some things to consider. This machine doesn't have a one shot oiler, the zerks on the saddle are NOT for grease. They are for oil. You might consider getting an import oiler and upgrading. Look for bozo marks on the table. Check to see how much back lash there is in the X and Y feeds. Run the table all the way in all directions and check for tightness. It'll likely be stiffer at the extremes as that is where the least wear will be. Check the brake, condition of the belts and both hi and lo gears. I'd also check to make sure the power down feed on the quill works like it's supposed to.

If you buy it, the minimum I would do is remove the table and saddle, give everything a good clean, check the feed screws, nuts and brackets.The feed nuts are easy to replace.

One good thing is every part is available for these from High Quality Tools (Tamp, Miami as well as Cleveland, OH) as well as H&W Machine (Fort Wayne, IN).

The only thing I know about differences is the Series 2 is quite a bit larger and heavier than a Series 1. The fact that this is a dovetail and not a round ram is a big bonus.

BTW, my personal advice - DO NOT WAIT TO CONTACT THE SELLER. Take the day off if you have to to be first in line to see it and try to make a deal, if it's what you want. If you wait, it's not going to be for sale for very long. Take some cash to offer a deposit if you don't want to carry that much cash around.

Can't tell totally, but that maybe a 9x36 table.

I think that is a short table which I like
I'll take it! :)

Yes, it's a small table. Which I need. I've already contacted the seller. Just waiting for them to return from a trip and head up and take a look.

Here’s something you can use as a reference. Just saw this tonight.

105e01b573c65341594c6d99b41580a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s something you can use as a reference. Just saw this tonight.
I saw that one on FB. Transportation on that one would probably get it up to the $2,500 mark. LOL

Is that one newer, older, a better or worse model than the one close to me? It certainly looks better.

I saw that one on FB. Transportation on that one would probably get it up to the $2,500 mark. LOL

Is that one newer, older, a better or worse model than the one close to me? It certainly looks better.
No idea of age. Table is bigger, for sure. Plus it's a variable speed head - some would say that's a negative because of cost of repairs/replacement parts. I disagree. I have a variable speed Series 1 BP. I did spend some money to fix the head, but having infinitely adjustable speed without stopping the machine is much more advantageous.

Back