Forced Retirement - Help with Insurance

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well my company is forcing me to take retirement earlier than I had planned, about a year. I am concerned about the Medicare, I am 65 but the wife who hasn't worked for 30 years is only 63. I assume that I will have to find some health care for her until she gets to 65. Anyone have any experience with this and can share some information?

Thanks
Patrick

Congratulations on the retirement, even if forced. Best job ever! Sorry, but no help regarding the insurance...

I am going through that myself now. I'm about to turn 64. I am paying for Cobra for myself, as it was way less than the Federal plan. As for how to handle your wife, I haven't a clue. You could divorce her and have her get the federal plan at a reduced cost, since she was not a bread winner and then remarry after. But I suspect that's not in the cards.

For the most informative way, I would ask your HR people, what options you have. They should be able to help, or tell you who to contact about it. Maybe you can pick up cobra just for her. I'm assuming you are a Boeing employee.

I went through the same thing 3 years ago and had to buy insurance for my wife and my son. My wife turns 65 next February.
I had great insurance at work, so it was a bit of a shock when I saw what we would have to pay out of pocket after retirement.

If you have decent insurance at work, you can sign her up for COBRA, which allows you to continue with the
same insurance for 18 months, though not at the same cost. That's what we did since the insurance at work was good and
she knew she needed major surgery (knee replacement) not long after I retired. The cost of COBRA was quite a bit higher than
what I payed while working, but it was still a better deal than what I was able to find elsewhere. After 18 months you will have
to find other insurance. The COBRA also covered my son.

Since you're in Washington, have a look at this site. I believe this is where I started looking.

Somewhere, I found a list of all the health insurance policies available in my county. (Coverage and availability does vary from
county to county within the state.) If I remember right, there were about 30 policies available. I made a list of all of them,
sorted by up front cost, which was annual premiums + deductibles.
One thing that jumped out right away was that the least expensive policies in terms of premiums always had higher deductibles,
and usually higher over all costs. I suppose that makes some sense: the insurance companies want their money upfront, but it
means that the folks who can't afford the higher premiums pay more in the end if they get sick. However, the most expensive
policies didn't necessarily have the best coverage. The devil is in the details, so once you have the list in front of you need to
look at the details of what coverages those policies provide. I wound up picking a policy that was somewhere in the middle
cost wise, but that had good coverage. The policy we chose also had monthly premiums that were close to what we were paying
under COBRA, though the deductible was higher. The cost of all this was shocking, frankly. Folks with lower incomes will need
to sign up for Obama-care, which I can't tell you about since we didn't qualify.
Don't forget about dental coverage as well: some policies won't cover it.

I don't know if you've looked into Medicare yet, but start here:

Basically, you'll need Medicare parts A and B and a supplement which can either be a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C),
or Supplemental (Medigap) policy. Part D, which you'll need covers drugs.
All this isn't free, but the cost is much less than what you'll pay for your wife. I also have to say that if you have all of this
stuff, Medicare is a good deal. I've had some significant health issues in the last year and the cost has been high, but after
paying a small deductible, the cost has been almost zero.

What I've said here covers the basics. This stuff is complicated and you'll need to pay attention to the details. Be sure to
give yourself enough time to research this before you retire: you don't want to make a rushed decision at the last minute.

Last edited:
My wife retired when I did but still has 3 years to go for Medicare. She got her insurance through the ACA exchange but our income is too high for any subsidies so we pay the full load. She has a high deductible policy with an HSA. The premiums for her are $7K/yr. and nothing from insurance until she hits $7,200 out of pocket. The on;ly benefit is that she gets reduced prices on medical and drug costs and a free annual physical.

I have a Cadillac supplemental policy that costs me about $3K/yr but so far, in 8 years, I haven't paid a dime out of pocket. U bought the cheapest part D insurance available as, at the time, I had no prescription drugs. It cost me about $200/yr.

Hopefully you will find a good solution, the ACA might not work if your employer pays you too much to qualify.

One thing I can tell you though is about COBRA, you can buy it retroactively. It's the only insurance I've ever heard of where you can do that but it makes sense if you think about it. Very few people who just lost a job are in a position to shell out $$$$ for insurance, so the way the law is written you can purchase COBRA insurance AFTER you incur a medical expense. They never tell you that for obvious reasons but if you don't believe me look it up for yourself.

See number 14....

This might not be an advantage if your wife has ongoing medical issues, but if all she needs are routine checkups it might be better to pay cash for those while you wait out your COBRA period. I can't really give you advice here but it's worth educating yourself, my wife and I paid insurance out of pocket from her former employer after a layoff and it was $1800/mo. Later, when I changed jobs and had a period of time between coverage I did the research on COBRA and decided we could pay for it retroactively if needed.

Good luck, I'm jealous because I've got a little more than 9 years before I can retire and it's just because of medical insurance....

JOhn

One other thought .... I worked for your company's main competitor - the other major aerospace company. My wife is 2 years younger and was able to get insurance through them for a discounted rate after I retired and went on medicare. You might check with your former employer - they may offer benefits that you do not know about.

Also, welcome to retirement! I have no regrets. Occasionally I miss the good times at work, but then I remember all the bad times.

Back