"Fogless" Style Coolant Dispenser

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Since installing a Kool Mist system on the surface grinder( which works amazingly well ), I've been wanting to try and compare a "fogless" style system that spits out droplets via pressurized tank, versus the mist/syphon type. While sourcing the parts to build one, I stumbled onto these folks, and ended up ordering one instead. https://stupidsimple.tools/collecti.../sst-lube-cube-fogless-coolant-sprayer-system
After pricing out the major components like the in line water filter housing, air regulator, etc.., it just didn't seem to be worth taking the time to do it.

The folks at Stupid Simple Tools were great to deal with, and the unit is very well made. While the magnetic "Noga style" support arms are Chinese knockoffs, as is the air gauge/regulator, they are very nicely made. The main components, like the in line water filter and the dispensing head, are of very high quality. Arrived in a box that was made specifically to fit the product, and heavy duty. The Lube Cube model I got, is their new two head version, which may not be on the web site yet. I think this one is the first one they've sold, as it just became available when I contacted them.

Installation was pretty straightforward. I mounted the tank to the arm that holds my DRO display and collet rack. There's about 5 feet of hose that comes with the unit. I'm not a big fan of magnets around machine tools, so I unscrewed them, and drilled/tapped a hole in the light bracket for the rear head, and the cover plate where the factory STOP/RUN switch used to be on the Lagun. I wanted the dispensers located across from one another diagonally. That way, the rear nozzle can cover the rear and left side of the vise/table, and the front mounted one covers the front/right. Preventing any coolant shadows, so to speak.

Filled the 2 liter tank about 3/4 full of Kool Mist 77 coolant, and set the regulator at a little over 10psi. Also put a small ball valve on the air supply to turn it on/off with out touching the mixture setting on the dispensers. Adjusted so it just barely spits out coolant. At 6"-8" away, the pattern of the droplets was around 2" or so. I've been running it pretty steadily for a couple of days now, and really happy with it. Mainly while using a 3/4" roughing end mill, and a 4" face mill in steel, and not a hint of heat buildup on the tool or workpiece. The air blast does a good job of keeping the chips blown free of the cutter as well. Having two nozzles on the mill, is definitely a plus. Not sure how many hours I've run it, but in three days of pretty steady use, it has used about one liter of coolant. Very impressed, and happy with it. The Kool Mist system will be staying right where it is on the grinder, as I feel for that use, it's the better mousetrap. They each have their place in my opinion.

IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG

Do you do any collection of the used coolant, is it even necessary, or just let it evaporate?

As my next project , I have a couple of these in the garage that need to go .I'll post them below . :grin:

Do you do any collection of the used coolant, is it even necessary, or just let it evaporate?
Really not much to collect. Most is soaked up by the chips( which I vacuum up ) and/or evaporates. Then give things a wipe down and a little WD40. I've not experienced any rusting on the grinder while using the Kool Mist 77. I mix it with distilled water, at the recommended ratio.

Back