Flycutter carbide tool holder

Lee250

Registered
Registered
I just got a 2.5" flycutter to play with and I happen to have a bunch of tng322 and tpg 322 inserts laying around and was wondering if there's a tool holder that will work in the flycutter, takes a 3/8 tool, that will use either of those inserts. I tried Google and I guess those size inserts are about 3/8 or something because that's pretty much all that comes up when searching is just the inserts and not the tool holders.

Good luck with that search. I'm not sure such an animal exists. A TxGx332 insert has a 3/8" inscribed circle which defines the overall dimension of the insert. When you say your fly cutter takes a "3/8 tool", I assume you mean a 3/8" square shanked tool. Typically a 3/8" square-indexable tool holder will accept a 1/4" inscribed circle insert or smaller.

Usually for flycutters I use HSS or brazed carbide tools.

I'll get some HSS tools then. I figured I would try since I have a bunch of the carbide inserts. Thanks. Another question I have is the fly cutter is 2.5" so how big of a tool do I need for it? Like how far can/should it stick out from the cutter on both ends?

I made this a week ago.
Works great.
I haven't tried it on steel yet. Interrupted cut in steel may be a problem with this insert. Time will tell.
I have HSS as a backup.

Attachments

• fly 1.jpg
    fly 1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 25
  • fly 2.jpg
    fly 2.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 26
I'll get some HSS tools then. I figured I would try since I have a bunch of the carbide inserts. Thanks. Another question I have is the fly cutter is 2.5" so how big of a tool do I need for it? Like how far can/should it stick out from the cutter on both ends?
The rigidity of your machine dictates what you can get away with.
That’s been my experience.
The flycutter I made has a .750” arbor, with a 5/8” insert tool.

I use some old unused brazed carbide in mine. Lots of “extras” rolling around in the bottom of the drawer, so might as well use them up.

I started with hss, but found it dulled far too quickly in fly cutter operations for my liking.

Been using a brazed carbide for a fair bit now and still cuts steel like the day I installed it.

YMMV…

I got an R8 flycutter so it chucks right up in my mill and I have a benchtop pm30mv precision Matthews mill. So I'm going to guess it probably can't stick out too far.

You only want as much stick out to cover your part. The more stick out means more chances of chatter. Only as much as needed.

Back