Fly tool cutter on a G0704

outsider347

Active User
Registered
enco has a 5 pc Interstate cutter set on sale for 26.00

For hobby non production use, do you think the 0704 can handle a fly cut operation

Thanks Gents

Absolutely! You can fly cut with a Sherline!

It's all about depth of cut. A nice, sharp HSS cutter and you are all set

Bernie

Thanks for the reply Bernie

any thoughts about Interstate products at Enco?

Is that who makes the flycutter? I'll check it out

Bernie

I can't see the normal price, but you can't really go wrong for that price.

You won't even really use them all, so consider some of them spares to modify!

1/2 inch shank is what your machine can hold? 1/2 inch is fine- that is what I use on my Rusnok Vertical head on Hardinge TM. Just make sure you get the biggest shank your machine can hold close to the spindle. If you can hold 3/4 inch, even with the shank shortened with your grinder, do it.

Also use the thickest bit the cutters will handle. It's all about decreasing deflection!

Bernie

Thanks again Bernie

Would the tool bit grind be any different that what I would grind for regular lathe applications?

My experience is says no- but any truly seasoned machinists out there would be able to teach me otherwise :)

I just use normal lathe cutter geometry. Just to be clear- NOT tools meant for the Williams style lathe tool holders. Those are ground accounting for 10-15 degrees tilt built into the toolholder.

So grind them as if you are going to use them totally horizontally, as on a QCTP, or four position tool post.

Bernie

... I also usually cut them like a "finishing" tool bit, (as opposed to a roughing bit without the small round ground off the tip), since that beautiful finish is what I am often shooting for :)

Bernie

Have you got the fly cutters in and how does the grizzly handle them?

Yep I got them
I have only used the largest of the lot & works great. I will sat that I have been very easy on the DOC & feed
Satisfied so far

Back