fly cutter versus surface mill ?

nightowl499

Active User
Registered
Another newb question, when do you uses a face mill versus a fly cutter ?

Another newb question, when do you uses a face mill versus a fly cutter ?

If your not skimming the whole surface the corner shape will be effected by the fly cutters tool radius. I.e. I find if I want to make a square edge i use a face mill.

Fly cutters are un ballenced so a slower rpm is required than a face mill.

The fly cutters are single point so sharpening the tool is nice and easy. Also makes them a cheep tool to use for removing much matirial.

Just my thoughts their not realy a definitive guide :anyone:

Stuart

That about sums it up!

My wiseacre response was going to be: Never, if you happen to own a face cutter.

Ray

If your not skimming the whole surface the corner shape will be effected by the fly cutters tool radius. I.e. I find if I want to make a square edge i use a face mill.

Fly cutters are un ballenced so a slower rpm is required than a face mill.

The fly cutters are single point so sharpening the tool is nice and easy. Also makes them a cheep tool to use for removing much matirial.

Just my thoughts their not realy a definitive guide :anyone:

Stuart

Fly cutters tend to give great surface finishes. They are cheap, and easy to sharpen. If you have a smaller machine, they are probably a better choice than a large face mill. If you watch Tormach's video on their "Superfly" fly cutter, they seem to think it's the way to go on smaller machines.

Personally I still want a small face mill, but haven't gotten there yet. More or less, they are used for the same thing (making surfaces flat, and removing material from the top of stock). They are both meant for low DOC and wide passes.

Fly cutters are also more versatile. They can be used to cut contours, radius edges, etc... Face mills are better when you need it to be absolutely flat, fly cutters can leave a very flat surface, but can do so much more. I have used a homemade fly cutter to make bullet molds where the mating surfaces had to be like a ground finish. I did have to finish with #1000 emery, but the fly cutter will do a great job if you go slow and take your time.

Back