Flea market find, and what does HSG stand for

markknx

Active User
Registered
I found a guy with a bunch of machinist stuff at the flea market today.(wish I had brought more cash) I ended up with a Starrett 6 pc telescoping gage set and the 8 end mills plus one counter bore. he wanted $5.00 ea. for the end mills I picked what seemed to to be brand new ones except the 1/8 double ended. (I tend to brake them a lot)and $30.00 for the tele gages. Well I got away with 60.00 for everything. Wondering how much a used Starrett tele gage set should go for? I Know 5.00 a pc. on the end mills is what I call a fair price for good end mills And at that I got 3 for free so to speak. they are HS, But 1 Says HSG. What does the G stand for? also range in size from 3/32 to 21/ 32. USA made names like Weldon, Ampco, Union. Anyway just kind of wondering if I did good or great on this buy? and what does the G stand for?

Mark

20141011_194623.jpg

20141011_194623.jpg

High shear geometry or maybe the manufactuer's name?

Darkzero, Thanks! if it is High shear geometry then what does that mean? one says HSG (the one right next to the gage set) and another says HSG8 (the 5th one over from the gage set). and since they have a manufacturer's name on them I can rule that out.

Oh, sorry about that, those were just guesses, I really have no idea what it actually stands for. Hopefully someone does know & will chime in.

I think you did well,if the end mills are quite tacky feeling sharp. Cheap telescopic gauges can have too much play in them,and not operate quite right to accurately lock when tightened,to give a true reading on the dia. of the hole you are measuring. So,Starrett is more desirable,especially if they are OLD. I like Starrett tools the best,but I don't trust their brand new tools as much as the older tools.

Lufkin used to make really high quality tools,and I have a set of telescopic gauges they made,in a leather (OLD) pouch. They must be from the 40's. Excellent quality. Mitutoyo are good these days. But,I think you did well for $30.00.

HSG is the brand. I don't know what the letters signify but I have quite a few with that logo. Congratulations you did well for that price.

"Billy G"

A new set of those telescoping gages are around $200.

I'm going back next weak or the weak after with more cash. He has a small D.T.I set Sargent that he wants 50 for and some angle plates. A whole lot of mics. An! Much more. How can one test a D.T.I. In at a flea market? What should I look for? It is an older one in a wooden box.nice looking piece.

Just make sure the action works smoothly and the needle doesn't hang up. There is no way to really test the accuracy without gauge blocks and a surface plate.

The 2 end mills that have HSG, and HSG8 also have the brand name Union on them.

Back