Flatbed Scanner Questions - Ot?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I recently promised to provide a fellow forum member with a scan of a lathe operator manual not available online and was preparing to follow through. I located my old flatbed scanner that was still packed away from the last move of years ago and found that the power supply, USB connector, and the software cd were not packed in the scanner box. I have searched everywhere but not found everything for the scanner yet. I'm thinking that maybe it is time to purchase a newer scanner. One that would work better for some future project ideas such as converting some old machinist reference items (now on topic:)) to electronic format.

I did a search for flatbed scanners and for book scanners. Wow, the book scanners can get expensive! I did locate a flatbed scanner that can scan within 1/4 inch to the edge of the scanner bed and allows a book to hang over without breaking the binding. I have plenty of time and am not concerned with a faster more expensive dedicated book scanner. The scanner I'm interested in is this one http://plustek.com/oeu/products/opticbook-series/opticbook-3900/ .

Question is, does anyone here have experience with this one or one similar?

Thanks,

Go to your closest office store or printing shop and run it off on one of their machines. typically it is so much quicker. Another thing that I have done is
just photograph the pages with your iPhone or whatever. I had very good look with this. My new HP laser printer has copy/print capability.
The only thing that I use my scanner for any more is high quality color photos.

CHuck the grumpy old old guy

when i first started selling on ebay 15 years ago or so. I used my scanner to take pictures. it worked very well if you knew how to use photo software.

I agree with Grumpygator. The local copy shop has plenty of machines that will copy them off in minutes.

I wouldn't bother with the old scanner. Typically, scanners and printers are not supported after a few OS upgrades. For instance if your scanner worked with windows XP and you are currently running Windows 8, it may not be supported. Even if it works with your current computer, It likely won't work with the next one.

I have a Cannon MX870 3 in 1 copier, scanner, and fax all in one. I've scanned over 15,000 documents through the scanner and still doing great. IF you are needing to replace your printer, might be the way to go.

Ink costs more than the machine.

Can get 3 in one machine at walmart for less than 50 bucks then when ink runs out either buy a printer only for the price of the ink or get a laser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Ink costs more than the machine....snip....

You can almost get a lifetime supply of aftermarket ink on Amazon for the Cannon for the price of a new printer. I haven't bought Cannon brand ink in about 4 years.

Ken

Back