Fixturing and toolpaths for noobs

I am struggling with slitting. Need to make a clamp and would like to use a SLITTING SAW but cannot seem to set up the toolpath for the cut shown below.

Have tried adaptive 3D clearing, 3D flat, to no avail. Any suggestions @JimDawson or anyone else, please?

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 9.30.44 AM.png

Last edited:
I am struggling with slitting. Need to make a clamp and would like to use a SLITTING SAW but cannot seem to set up the toolpath for the cut shown below.

Have tried adaptive 3D clearing, 3D flat, to no avail. Any suggestions @JimDawson , please?

The Trace toolpath is your new friend. I'll provide instructions in a bit, I need more coffee first :faint:

I hope trace will work. I tried various combinations of edges like this:

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 10.59.01 AM.png

Problem is the cutter wants to get rid of lots of material it shouldn't. When I simulate, the cutter just drops into the material which would be disaster.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 11.00.14 AM.png

I will experiment with a few more combinations, but so far can't make it work.

Last edited:
Closest I ever got was this, but does not do the depth:

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 12.04.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 12.04.02 PM.png

OK, I figured it out, trace did not work.

Conture works fine. I just drew a line on center, selected that as the Geometry. Then did multiple roughing passes with a 0.040 stepover. Used a Radial Stock to Leave at -0.375 in this case

1673898023585.png

1673897765180.png

So it works to set a geometry (line) on the surface then set Passes > Stock to Leave a negative value. The tool moves in with each cut though so it will end up chipping or breaking towards the end. See the brown corner in the image below.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 3.11.21 PM.png

To prevent that, I set the Geometry > Tangential Extension Distance to 1.5 in for a 2.75in slitting saw; perhaps I shoudl set to 1.8-2.0 inches to make sure the cutter has plunged to the cutting height before it enters the material.

This is seen from the top. I hope it makes sense:

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 3.22.29 PM.png

Once again many thanks @JimDawson I hope others will find this helpful.

To prevent that, I set the Geometry > Tangential Extension Distance to 1.5 in for a 2.75in slitting saw; perhaps I shoudl set to 1.8-2.0 inches to make sure the cutter has plunged to the cutting height before it enters the material.

Yeah, I made the line length the slitting saw diameter, 3 inches in my case. But Tangential Extension works also.

My pleasure to help out.

Back