fit n finnish.. stainless

nightowl499

Active User
Registered
ok i do a lot of stainless on my lathe, have a new bigger one now , want to know your techniques for getting a
nice finish for polishing . what type of cutting tool speeds and such work for you
Gary

Polished finish? Emery backed up by a file.
Smooth turned finish, round nose radius on the tool, suitable SFM. Really need a bit more info to offer much more

Cheers Phil

OK, IF your lathe is rigid and powerful enough, move up to negative rake inserts. I suggest CNMG in 1/2" IC because they are so common.

For 304, Seco TM4000 at 550 sfm feed 0.007 IPR or more would be a good start point
http://tradetools.co.nz/category/IDOCNMG

Note: I normally buy inserts off eBay. This insert is $22 new. I've bought them by the lb. for pennies each.

OK, IF your lathe is rigid and powerful enough, move up to negative rake inserts. I suggest CNMG in 1/2" IC because they are so common.

For 304, Seco TM4000 at 550 sfm feed 0.007 IPR or more would be a good start point
http://tradetools.co.nz/category/IDOCNMG

Note: I normally buy inserts off eBay. This insert is $22 new. I've bought them by the lb. for pennies each.

How do you manage to buy them so cheap ?

Would someone post pictures of stainless cut on a non-cnc lathe that is ready for bright polish and same item with the bright polish after buffing. And share how to do it.

Do you mean bright polish in decorative, or optical bright? Do you have a specification or measurement of what finish you need? Do you have a profilometer?

Do you mean bright polish in decorative, or optical bright? Do you have a specification or measurement of what finish you need? Do you have a profilometer?

Nothing specific or scientific. Just want to have some pointers on how to make a nice finish on stainless on a manual lathe. I didn't start the thread but I hope it gets interesting.

I've seen things for sale as stainless but look like a bright mirror surface. I assume that has to be some type of plating to have such a bright shine.

mOw_ngG0ObKuk_txEYU2fwQ.jpg

Stainless will always have a silver matte finish, true?

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

Nothing specific or scientific. Just want to have some pointers on how to make a nice finish on stainless on a manual lathe. I didn't start the thread but I hope it gets interesting.

I've seen things for sale as stainless but look like a bright mirror surface. I assume that has to be some type of plating to have such a bright shine.

Stainless will always have a silver matte finish, true?

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

matt or shiny finish must be put on the stainless its sometimes matt when you get it sometimes not , ifall the tooling marks are polished out it will look better than chrome
you can get it to look llike a christmas tree ormnament

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

FH0W2ADFRU1U71ILARGE.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

24Pounder3Qtr.jpg

Back