Fish or Cut Bait-Move or settle?

Yet another factor, given that most of us here are of retirement age, is our health. Be careful wishing for a remote property in the hills, because the isolation works both ways. How long does it take to get to town? How long will you keep driving? How far away is the hospital. Also, there's the weather. As kids, we all love the snow, but how long will you be willing to shovel a long driveway during the winter. If you fall and break a bone, is there cell coverage (assuming you don't think 5G has infected your brain yet, but I digress). Just sayin', what we see as the perfect place to live when we're 30 may well be something different when we're 75.

(A perfect age-related example is buying a 2-story house when you're 30. How you feel about stairs when you're 80 is likely to change.)

Someone told me the property taxes in New York and maybe Mass. were in the 8% range?
Yeah I agree, many states have much more favorable taxes, fees, DMV etc.
NY is 2-4% of the appraised value and varies based on where in NY you live. Here in CT it is similar, but we also have a personal property tax on anything that is registered (ie. cars, motorcycles, boats) at the same mil rate as house property taxes that caught us by surprise when we moved here. We buy used cars now since it saves us several hundreds of dollars per year in property tax over buying new.

NY is 2-4% of the appraised value and varies based on where in NY you live. Here in CT it is similar, but we also have a personal property tax on anything that is registered (ie. cars, motorcycles, boats) at the same mil rate as house property taxes that caught us by surprise when we moved here. We buy used cars now since it saves us several hundreds of dollars per year in property tax over buying new.
Whoa,
We have a 1%, I think.

I must admit, being 7 minutes to Harbor Freight, hardware store and two markets is pretty cool.
I'm sure your wife would enjoy parking inside, but it's not like it snows in Chico. Being closer to everything is definitely worth some compromise and more property really just means more time taking care of things and not working in the shop.

When you start waxing nostalgic about your old property make sure to factor in all the stuff that wasn't great, plus do you want to face possibly getting burned out again.

Wish I had a bigger shop but I like my place in town....

John

Yup, Mass sucks, especially if you are a gun owner. As soon as I retire, I will be moving north to NH.

Ya know Jeff, you got us all talking when you started the thread about retirement and how much money is enough. Now you start this thread. When will it end?!:grin:

May I suggest a book? It is a simple one... Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson. Took me two hours to read it (if that) but it makes you start to think about what one is afraid of.

We built in 2019 before the lumber skyrocketed. Sold our house unexpectedly (didn't even have it on the market) so it was stressful. We were in the process of buying some acreage anyhow and it did work out. Ended up with a beautiful house and a 36x36 shop on 22 acres with 1300ft of frontage on a decent sized river. One of my kids called me today and while standing in the living room two Bald Eagles literally flew past the deck and our panoramic windows. Moments like that make me glad that I did it, but it was a lot of stress to be sure.
If it was just me, I would have built a larger shop with luxury living quarters in the back of it overlooking the hills and river, but it seems that the wife did not want to live in the shop. I have given serious consideration to getting rid of the wife, but that is extremely expensive. :finger wag:

As far as conveniences, I think I live in a place that just can't be beat. 4 minutes to the nearest grocery and gas. 15 minutes to the bigger grocery stores, restaurants and Menards. Hospitals are 20 minutes away or so, but I discovered (highlighted in this thread) that the trauma center is only about 20 minutes away via helicopter (from the neighbors yard).
The one thing that is not so great here is the property taxes and the "backwoods" idiots, but even those aren't too bad (the taxes, LOL).

Ya know Jeff, you got us all talking when you started the thread about retirement and how much money is enough. Now you start this thread. When will it end?!:grin:

May I suggest a book? It is a simple one... Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson. Took me two hours to read it (if that) but it makes you start to think about what one is afraid of.

We built in 2019 before the lumber skyrocketed. Sold our house unexpectedly (didn't even have it on the market) so it was stressful. We were in the process of buying some acreage anyhow and it did work out. Ended up with a beautiful house and a 36x36 shop on 22 acres with 1300ft of frontage on a decent sized river. One of my kids called me today and while standing in the living room two Bald Eagles literally flew past the deck and our panoramic windows. Moments like that make me glad that I did it, but it was a lot of stress to be sure.
If it was just me, I would have built a larger shop with luxury living quarters in the back of it overlooking the hills and river, but it seems that the wife did not want to live in the shop. I have given serious consideration to getting rid of the wife, but that is extremely expensive. :finger wag:

As far as conveniences, I think I live in a place that just can't be beat. 4 minutes to the nearest grocery and gas. 15 minutes to the bigger grocery stores, restaurants and Menards. Hospitals are 20 minutes away or so, but I discovered (highlighted in this thread) that the trauma center is only about 20 minutes away via helicopter (from the neighbors yard).
The one thing that is not so great here is the property taxes and the "backwoods" idiots, but even those aren't too bad (the taxes, LOL).
Dang man,
You got it made.
Your place sounds amazing.
I’m moving in, next door.

Dang man,
You got it made.
Your place sounds amazing.
I’m moving in, next door.
Welllll..... There is 37 acres just South of me, all wooded, with 1500ft of frontage on the river. He might sell for the right price ;) Would love to have you as a neighbor!

Back