First time milling ER32 collet size question

I got my collet blocks yesterday.

Not!

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

IMG_4251.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

WOW, just WOW..... I hope Amazon is going to make that right....
Yeah, they’re sending another pair, hopefully put in an actual box.

I honestly had no idea what this was and the wife was speculating I bought stickers and forgot.

Tore the end off of the envelope only to discover the whole side ripped out.

I seriously doubt whoever finds them will know what they are.

WOW, just WOW..... I hope Amazon is going to make that right....
Got the replacement set, very nice!

Thanks for the recommendation. I got the ball nut from this thread also, but it seems a bit gritchy. It loosened up and seems OK after playing with it a bit, we'll see.IMG_4266[1].JPG

Got the replacement set, very nice!

Thanks for the recommendation. I got the ball nut from this thread also, but it seems a bit gritchy. It loosened up and seems OK after playing with it a bit, we'll see.View attachment 490330

Re the bearing nut.... I flushed mine by soaking it in a bath of parraffin, then a bath of wd40, before blowing it out and dumping it in a bath of ISO68 way oil.

After that, wipe down, fit to faceplate and spin to max RPM on the lathe for a couple minutes to get oil where it needed to be.

Wiped it down again afterwards and it has always been as smooth as silk ever since.

Re the bearing nut.... I flushed mine by soaking it in a bath of parraffin, then a bath of wd40, before blowing it out and dumping it in a bath of ISO68 way oil.

After that, wipe down, fit to faceplate and spin to max RPM on the lathe for a couple minutes to get oil where it needed to be.

Wiped it down again afterwards and it has always been as smooth as silk ever since.
Yeah it kinda just felt like old grease or something.

Ill try that.

One thing I DID find with mine... The retaining pin/roll pin was a tad too long and protruted into the bearing enough to make it rough feeling. I took a smidge off with a file and that resolved it.

Back