First time milling ER32 collet size question

drwho

Registered
Registered
I am new to milling. I've got a used Bridgeport series 1 and I have a TMX ER-32 R8 SHANK collet chuck installed in it. I want to use a 1/2" mill cutter so I purchased a TECHNIKS ER32 1/2IN collet. When I install the 1/2" mill in the collet in the TMX chuck, the chuck is tight after 1/2 a turn. (tightening with special chuck wrench) I suspect something is wrong. Should I have got a 17/32" collet to hold 1/2 tooling? Is the TMX chuck not compatible with TECHNIKS collets?

No I did not. Thanks for the video!

No problem. Not many people are aware of the method when first starting to use collets.

Once you know, you know. ;)

BTW, one thing I would advise, as it has made life a lot better for many people, myself included, is to purchase a collet nut with bearing, it makes tightening the nut easier, creates a more equal clamping force on the collet and allows a more accurate feel to how tight the nut is.

I only ever used the plain nut once and that was enough for me, switched straight to the bearing nut and never looked back.

One of these (<<< LINK) is what I am referring to (Not necessarily this one from this company, but it gives you an idea of what it is)

202-1574main_2.jpg

Any other questions, just ask on the boards. Remember, "The only stupid question is the one you never ask".

Last edited:
I must be in the minority. I have never had any trouble tightening my ER32 collets with the standard nut.

Not about trouble tightening, it is about more consistent pressure and more equal grip of the collet and being able to tighten the nut more easily and consistently.
Yep, I wouldn't know myself, as my ER32 collet chuck is from China, but from what I've read, the nut appears to make the most significant contribution as regards repeatability and concentricity within the chuck system.

Yep, I wouldn't know myself, as my ER32 collet chuck is from China, but from what I've read, the nut appears to make the most significant contribution as regards repeatability and concentricity within the chuck system.

That is why I have the bearing nut. makes a heck of a difference! Given my collet chuck faceplate thing came from Leicester, I have an idea of the origins, so anything that helps with accuracy is always a plus. Apart from that, the more equal pressure and better grip have saved me some headaches, particularly yesterday!

Had to spin some of the nut flat off the dial of the milling slide because the top of the thread that the handle fixes to was damaged. 25mm collect made that possible. Complete pain to remove the pallet & slide, re-fit the compound, spin the dial down, remove the compound, then re-fit and re-align the pallet and milling slide, but hey, $hite happens.

The dial of the milling slide is threaded, as is the handle, so they lock against each-other.... Needs improvement to work reliably. Another "sub" project of a sub project.

All I can say is that I have not noticed any problems with anything in using my collets with the standard nut.

Not about trouble tightening, it is about more consistent pressure and more equal grip of the collet and being able to tighten the nut more easily and consistently.
A Count would be my guess.

Back