First time machining getting chatter

Thanks for all the help... the vibration noise is the cover on the top of the machine.. it is metal on metal.. It makes alot of noise I will try some rubber in between them.

Chris, facing is typically done with the side of the tool very near the tip but not with the point of the tip itself. Your tool looks like it has rounded flanks and no top rake; I cannot tell what the side relief looks like. I suspect the way it is ground and the way you are using it is contributing to your problem. If you re-grind the tool so it has a 7-8 degree clearance angle under the side edge it will work better. If you can learn to grind some side rake - maybe 8-10 degrees - it will cut even better. Add 5-10 degrees of back rake and it will focus the cutting forces near the tip and the tool will cut much more easily. Angle the tool (turn the tool post) so that you are cutting with the left side of the tool, up near the tip. This is how a facing cut is typically done with a single point tool and it should work much better for you.

Here is a pic that kinda illustrates the previous post

facing.jpg

Mikey's advice is sound, a smaller cutter radius might be a big help .

Here is a video of the chatter

Can you lock your carriage? The outer diameter looks good. But as the tool gets closer to the center the RPM will slow down. If I was doing the machining I would speed the RPM's up to the next speed and use cutting fluid or coolant. The feed looks good. From your video the rattle sounds to me gear train wear, some lathes are just noisey. But I am confused why the material appears to be chipping on you.

Is it just! Of ate those chips coming of a dark blue? From my understanding that indicates SFM too fart for HSS does it not?

Is it just! Of ate those chips coming of a dark blue? From my understanding that indicates SFM too fart for HSS does it not?
Just depends on a multitude of factors, I have gotten conflicting advice about chip colors. D2 for instance, the only way I have gotten it to come off clean without chatter and minimal tool wear it will be bright to dark blue. if it's ever a big concern a mist coolant system or even just compressed air will help reduce the heat a great deal.

Have you done a "lift" test to check that the spindle bearings are within spec?

Oh crap I really gotta proof read my posts. I really hate these on screen keyboards with predictive text.

I was supposed to say :

Is it just me or are those chips coming off dark blue. From my understanding that indicates SFM too fast for HSS does it not.

Back