First time cutting steel Taig lathe problems

Probably what you are experiencing is deflection. Cutting steel puts much more strain on the machine than softer metals and any lack of rigidity will be more apparent. The tool might not be optimum either as far as geometry and sharpness. Light cuts are the rule for smaller machines.
Check out Dean's website for tips on using a Taig- he does some great work with his:

Yes indeed. I’ve been to Deans site many times. I know great work can be turned out on the Taig. I may not even be machining much steel but I want to get into model steam engines so some steel I’ll have to work with. I’ll redo some tools, change a few things, get the 12L14 and see how it goes. I think it’s cross slide backlash I have to figure out how to hold it in the right position to stop it.

Keep practicing with plain old steel also since if you can do a fair job with that, you can do anything
It's not unusual to have to pull the cross slide back after each pass to avoid digging into the work on finish passes. For roughing work
it's expected the tool will leave a furrow on the way back and usually doesn't matter

Sounds like the tool pressure for the grind you're using is more than the machine will tolerate. It's flexing. A sharper tool with less nose radius and more positive rake will result in less tool pressure but likely a poorer finish. Working in steel on a flexy machine may require you to get the finish you want with emery paper. My first lathe was like a wet noodle and would hardly cut steel until I ground an HSS tool so sharp it looked like I could cut threads with it. That tool cut the steel like butter but would leave lines that I had to polish out if I was making something that needed a fine finish.

Never cut steel before. Was playing with a 3/4 round bar tday. Ground my first steel cutting tools also. Upon turning they seem to cut fine. Coming back to the right with the carriage it cuts alot on the way back.

That means that there's more tool pressure than either the lathe, or the setup can handle. The work, the tool, or both are being deflected during the initial cut, and when you back out, they "spring back", and thereby continue cutting.

I’m holding the cross slide knob steady while doing it.

Why are you doing this? Does the dial not stay put, or are you doing it preemptively, in case that was a problem?

Also everytime I stop the carriage it digs a groove.

Same as above, there was deflection, so just like the cutting on the back cut, the tool continues to cut in one place. The deflection, and the nature of the situation to cause a pressure to return to it's original position, the work or the tool is feeding under spring pressure.

Should the tool be exactly 90 degrees to the work ?

I dunno... You ground it. :) You need to have the rakes and clearances dialed in so it cuts well. Whatever angle you put on the cutting portion of the tool, that is what will determine the angle at which you present the tool. You're going to be in a pickle at first, because on a light lathe there are many variables that you can "get by" with a lot less concern for. But dialing in several variables at once can be pretty daunting at first, but with a little patience (and maybe a good sense of humor) you'll get it.

This approach from the Sherline lathe people helped me out a bunch getting going. They're easy, quick, and they're customizable without reinventing the wheel. Is that kinda how you have yours done?

Any chance you can get us a picture of the tool you ground, and how it was presented to the work? Also, what kind of tool post/holder are you using? There may be some more specific advice based on that.

Backlash in the cross slide no matter I’m holding it ?

Backlash shouldn't be an issue, as it's all taken up when you feed in to touch off, and dial in the depth of cut. Nothing is going to push the cross slide into the work.

Lack of radius on the tool ?

Maybe. Too much or too little, either way can cause issues. I've never run a lathe such as yours, but I'd expect the nose radius is going to be quite small.

Speed can cause some issues, but if you're at or below anything recommended by calculations, or off of a chart or whatever, you're in the ballpark. I'd stay conservative, and save that one for later.

Hardness of the steel causing flex ?

Well, mild steel (which that appears to be) isn't really that "hard", but yeah, it's tougher to cut than the stuff you've mentioned. It will tend to push back more, which will put the onus on you to keep your cutting tools as free cutting as they can possibly be. If you're using one of the "standard" grind patterns, like the Sherline page I linked, you're probably going to want ten to twenty degrees of side rake, and ten to fifteen degrees of back rake, and ten or so for the reliefs. Also, I suspect that your tool post is going to present the tool mostly if not exactly horizontally, in which case all of the grind angles can be ground in relation to the tool bit, however if your tool post presents the tool at an angle other than horizontal, you're going to have to accomodate that, as the angle that matters is not the angle relative to the tool, but the angle, as presented, relative to the work piece. So if your tool is angled upward from horizontal as it's presented, your rakes will be less and relief will have to be more to accommodate that.

The added pressure may be causing flex in your tool post.

When cutting the post is pushed back into position "a", when you move back the pressure is still there but a little less so tool post now closer to work so it cuts again.

If it is cutting consistent across the work and using HSS, STOP when you get to left, then move back to right.

You also can look at the number on your dial and turn it 1/2 a turn back before moving then put it back on the number you started with.

You may need to optimize your angle on your cutter as well as lighter cuts.

Reduce stick out and tighten the gibs.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sounds like the tool pressure for the grind you're using is more than the machine will tolerate. It's flexing. A sharper tool with less nose radius and more positive rake will result in less tool pressure but likely a poorer finish. Working in steel on a flexy machine may require you to get the finish you want with emery paper. My first lathe was like a wet noodle and would hardly cut steel until I ground an HSS tool so sharp it looked like I could cut threads with it. That tool cut the steel like butter but would leave lines that I had to polish out if I was making something that needed a fine finish.
Yes its cutting just fine.

Back