First Set End Mills???

I agree totally, I wish I would have found this post back then, but when I was(still am) getting started I was just getting on this site, didn't have a clue where to start. So you jump in, or read and do nothing. Now that people are posting about resources that some did/do not know existed, and if that resource was reliable to begin with, like learning about cheap Chinese coated bits. Hopefully posts like this are found, and are helpful to someone just starting, that does not have experience.

Guys thanks for all the suggestion,and the links.All I know about end mills is right in this thread,so I really don't know what I need other than end mills or center end mills or end drills.So guys what I would like to do is drill holes,cut slots in brackets that I can slide for adjustments then lock the socket head screws and square up edges.I would love to find some good end mills on ebay but there is over 121,000 sales with me just doing a end mill search.Could someone and point me to an example what is good?I'm sure that is other words that can be added to my search that will help narrow down the search.Thanks guys

... what I would like to do is drill holes,cut slots in brackets that I can slide for adjustments then lock the socket head screws and square up edges.

One option for doing this is a drill mill, aka drill point end mill, like this: http://www.endmill.com/pages/drillpt.html

Melin makes good ones, as do Niagara and others. Not the best for squaring stock but a drill mill can chamfer, drill, countersink, slot and side mill. Here is one from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Diamet...Q9YL8:sc:USPSFirstClass!94043!US!-1:rk:4:pf:0

I might even suggest backing up just a bit and do some learning that will not only help you buy your tools but also perform the actual work. YouTube is full of very helpful videos and you will learn a lot from viewing some of them. I did a quick search for how to use end mills and this one was the first to pop up. Different mill than the Bridgeport, but helpful never the less...

Once you view a bunch of these and do some other searching on line I doubt you will have any trouble determining what cutters you'll want with minimal input from others.

Just a thought,
Ted

This set has both 2 and 4 flute end mills. It is what you need and the price and quality is perfect for learning.
The cobalt drill set is also a home run!
I have both of these sets. If you don't overspeed these and use lube they are very satisfactory.

What is the run-out on those drill bits like ?
seems like every time I buy inexpensive or cheap drill bits in sets half of them are as as straight as a crescent moon.

What is the run-out on those drill bits like ?
seems like every time I buy inexpensive or cheap drill bits in sets half of them are as as straight as a crescent moon.
They aren't perfect, but are definitely worth what I paid for them. They seem pretty straight. I always use a center drill first, so I haven't had any problems with wandering. The only thing that I did notice was that the 1/2" drill made thicker chips on one side than the other.

Hi Guys,

A link to a video about how high quality HSS twist drills are made. The vast majority of consumer drills are not made this way but are soft steel rods, twisted or rolled to form a spiral, then hardened and sharpened.

Guys thanks for all the suggestion,and the links.All I know about end mills is right in this thread,so I really don't know what I need other than end mills or center end mills or end drills.So guys what I would like to do is drill holes,cut slots in brackets that I can slide for adjustments then lock the socket head screws and square up edges.I would love to find some good end mills on ebay but there is over 121,000 sales with me just doing a end mill search.Could someone and point me to an example what is good?I'm sure that is other words that can be added to my search that will help narrow down the search.Thanks guys

What size can your mill handle ? I thought you had the Port , correct ? I have 1000s of end mills down the basement and am only taking a few into work to use . Slitting saws ? Arbors ? etc ?

I'm actually cleaning up the basement as we speak . I will NEVER get done . The boxes of stuff just continue to multiply . :rolleyes: ( and I still have that fine feed wheel )

If you should decide to sell few,I would be interested.Ifbyou want to put a package together for a beginner for one price would be great.My BP is 2j series w/2hp motor the 9x42”table.Quilt is R8,so all this is for fun just weekender so no NASA grade milling but my budget has a bottom

Back