First Post

FP55

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello, My first post is How to Turn Metric Threads on an Atlas 6 inch or 618. There may be an answers to this somewhere on the Forum but I cannot find an easy way to search for them yet.

Welcome, I searched "metric 618" and found a few posts.

Thank You. That was very helpful. I think posting was necessary to enable the search function and downloading. Looks like I will be there for a while.

The metric threading charts for the 10" lathe are also applicable to the 6", the only caveat being that an extra multiplication by 2 is required in the gear train since the 6" has a 16 pitch leadscrew instead of 8
Often this can be easily done at the 16/32 compound gear by choosing the 32 where the 16 is called for

Attachments

• Atlas Lathe 10F Threading Chart.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@FP55

Welcome to the group!

You have already seen how useful these folks can be.

Brian

Mark, Thank You for the chart. I think that gear is also labled a Spindle Stud Gear on another chart. I would assume that the gears in the train will need to be shifted forward to back and vise versa. I will try one of them to see. Also that chart takes the pitch to 7mm. The largest one on my threading chart is 3.5mm. I wonder where those threads above 3.5mm are used for.

Yes you would shuffle the gear forward and back positions to make it come out right. Looks like most of the metric threads can be done
using the 16/32 trick, except for only a couple of the larger ones
Generally I wouldn't try to do much large pitch threading on a 6" Atlas anyhow since it puts such a strain on the geartrain
Anything larger than about 10 tpi or 2.5mm I would avoid
You can hear the machine complaining when you try to spin the leadscrew that fast- and things can break

Last edited:
FP55,

You have access to Downloads.

Click on that in the main tool bar at "TOS". Then click on CLICK HERE First, and Second, and then click on Atlas... Atlas made a metric adapter for the 618 which we have a PDF scan of the instructions for. And we have separately some of the parts drawings scanned and cleaned up.

Clausing Industrial still has in stock some of the original parts. Including last I checked most of the gears. I never asked whether or not they still had any of the adapters, though.

Why would you want metric threads? Stick with Freedom Units. "Crazy googly eye emoticon" not available...

I do not really want them. Its just that it is hard if not impossible to avoid them. I have an auger pin that is round,square and metric threaded all in one that needs replaced and would like to reproduce it using the lathe. The round and square portion is also metric. I hate to buy a die for a one time use.

Back