First Post-Regular Reader, NEW Machines

Brmbaker

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
First let me say Thank You for the wealth of informationon this forum. I have been reading herefor almost a year (just about every day) in order to gain knowledge before Ipurchased and started using a Lathe and Mill. I am amazed by the amount of great information, tips, instruction, andreally look forward to checking the site. I have always enjoyed working with my hands, mainly focused on wooduntil I started building motorcycles a few years ago. I realized how nice it would be to makethings I need or want – the way I want them. I would rather buy a tool and make something myself, IF I can, than buyit (again, if I can). Numerous times Ihave learned the hard way that I cannot, but I do have the tool and theexperience of trying…
So I purchased a new Grizzly G9972Z lathe and G0704Mill. I read A LOT and nearly drovemyself crazy trying to decide what I needed vice what I want. I drove to the Grizzly Open House Day back inMay and trailored away a ton of things and a much lighter wallet…
Not actually making any chips or cutting anything - I ampretty happy with my decisions. BUT – Iam shocked at how filthy my machines were. I have purchased many tools and several machines over the years but WOWthese were dirty (at least to me). I amretired military, traveled the world, and have seen conditions across theglobe, can I expect this when not purchasing made in the USA? I ask that because I found dirt, sand, hair,grime, muck and even a few pebbles in the machines (not just the normal oil or protectioncoating)…
The BEST thing about cleaning them is that I now knowbasic operation and how they work… Itried to take a lot of pictures before and after, obviously can’t post all ofthem. Were other peoples thisdirty? I unpacked the machines aroundJune, but didn’t really start cleaning until September and each one has takenseveral weeks (oh yeah, between keeping my wife happy and spending time with mywonderful son).
Anyway, I hope to use each for the first REAL time thisweekend. Thanks, and if you see anythinginstalled backwards let me know… V/R bb

IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4984.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_5017.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG IMG_4539.JPG IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4938.JPG IMG_4952.JPG IMG_4984.JPG IMG_4990.JPG IMG_4997.JPG IMG_5003.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5027.JPG IMG_5039.JPG

It is not uncommon to receive machines that even look used. The Chinese machines are noted for this and most fellows get a gallon of WD-40 and tear the machine apart to get every nook and cranny cleaned as well as change out the whale oil for a real lubricant and change it again after a few hours of run time. It is also good to put a magnet inside the casting if you can and allow it to collect the junk and random metal particles while the oil change will get any remaining casting sand. When you re-assemble it pay close attention to properly adjusting each piece as you re-install it onto the machine. The verify it is flat and true and and that the head meets the center of the point in the tailstock with your supplied live centers. The follow the break-in instructions and make sure you don't cut the times short because the electronics are also seasoning as well as the gearbox and belts. Above all make this a fun project and be prepared to spend all day doing it right. Doing it right will insure that you get many good years before a gear or belt finally fail. Welcome to the family and don't be afraid to ask any question you have that arises.

Bob

Bob,
Thank you for the advise and encouragement. I am enjoying the process and really look forward to using the lathe. I don't mind the time and want to make sure everything is squared away. Lots to learn...
reading my manual,it doesn't specify an oil type for the gearbox. I did purchase DTE 24 (ISO 32), is that correct? It also doesn't have a quantity, any idea of how much I will need to flush and fill?
Also, didn't think of the magnet on the casting, where should I try to place it?
Thanks, bb

BB,
Place the magnet as close to a moving shaft or gear as you can without it getting hit. The ISO oil will probably be just fine, but make sure to thoroughly clean out the cavity and measure how much you took out. Then if it has a sight glass you should fill the cavity to just barely above the 1/2 way point. That will account for the oil that is on the gears. Then it is really just a matter of good cleaning effort with brake clean or some other non film leaving cleaning solvent. Remember while you have the lid off to clean the inside of the sight glass so you will be able to see the fill level accurately. I would ask around and see what the other JET owners are using, but I am pretty sure that the ISO you have will work just fine since it is a high pressure lube so it will protect the teeth on the gears and bearings just fine. Have fun with the clean-up and be sure to make it a fun project when you have a day to spend doing it and the overall cleaning. Stop by the local lawn and garden store and get a gallon of bar and chain oil to coat the ways to keep rust off of them too!!!

Bob

i cant wait untill you get a chance to make a few chips with it and see how you like it , i almost went with that machine myself for the few inches longer bed , but wound up going with the g0602 due to the bit better threading range .

your manual should say how much oil the gear box needs ... but it wont be much .. 8-12 ounces im going to guess

Back