First order retrieval . . . Lathe edition

I got tired of my taper attachment scraping through my tool holders as they hung on the peg board behind my lathe, and having my MT3 tooling just stacked up in a random place. So, here is a one-day build from the scrap I had laying around.

A quick plywood box, with a hinged lid. Drilled a pattern of 7/8" holes for the MT3 tooling (then I took a trip over to @lordbeezer who sold me a couple more MT3 drills). I had a bunch of small pieces of aluminum angle from renovating a Winnebago a couple years ago. I just had to trim them a 1/2" shorter so the tool would slide on. Didn't even need to drill for screw holes, and I still had the screws. . . so that was convenient.
I'm thinking I'll add a gas-strut to help with opening the lid. It isn't all THAT heavy, but I am THAT lazy. . . soooo. But there is a nice bit of space inside. I think this is going to be storage for spare tooling, carbide bit and such. But, haven't really decided. You can see the top of the cap head screw that is the sole screw securing it to the top of the lathe. I'm not sure what this screw was originally meant to hold, but it was convenient here.
I still need to attach storage/holders for my custom wrench and my oil cup. I also got a length of steel angle that I'm going to screw to the back. That'll be were I store my magnetic bases.
Nice build.
It always takes a while to figure out what orientation to hold your stuff.
I thought about doing something like yours but what I did was park the lathe perpendicular to the wall and then set a large tool cabinet by it. Everything lathe and measuring related is in drawers at arm's length away from me.

Attachments

• 2024-01-04_04_16_44.jpg
    2024-01-04_04_16_44.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 5
Back