First order retrieval . . . Lathe edition

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I got tired of my taper attachment scraping through my tool holders as they hung on the peg board behind my lathe, and having my MT3 tooling just stacked up in a random place. So, here is a one-day build from the scrap I had laying around.

A quick plywood box, with a hinged lid. Drilled a pattern of 7/8" holes for the MT3 tooling (then I took a trip over to @lordbeezer who sold me a couple more MT3 drills). I had a bunch of small pieces of aluminum angle from renovating a Winnebago a couple years ago. I just had to trim them a 1/2" shorter so the tool would slide on. Didn't even need to drill for screw holes, and I still had the screws. . . so that was convenient.
I'm thinking I'll add a gas-strut to help with opening the lid. It isn't all THAT heavy, but I am THAT lazy. . . soooo. But there is a nice bit of space inside. I think this is going to be storage for spare tooling, carbide bit and such. But, haven't really decided. You can see the top of the cap head screw that is the sole screw securing it to the top of the lathe. I'm not sure what this screw was originally meant to hold, but it was convenient here.
I still need to attach storage/holders for my custom wrench and my oil cup. I also got a length of steel angle that I'm going to screw to the back. That'll be were I store my magnetic bases.

Attachments

• DSC05265.JPG
    DSC05265.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC05266.JPG
    DSC05266.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC05267.JPG
    DSC05267.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 146
Nice build. I may do something similar. What’s your lathe? Looks nice. Very dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got tired of my taper attachment scraping through my tool holders as they hung on the peg board behind my lathe, and having my MT3 tooling just stacked up in a random place. So, here is a one-day build from the scrap I had laying around.

A quick plywood box, with a hinged lid. Drilled a pattern of 7/8" holes for the MT3 tooling (then I took a trip over to @lordbeezer who sold me a couple more MT3 drills). I had a bunch of small pieces of aluminum angle from renovating a Winnebago a couple years ago. I just had to trim them a 1/2" shorter so the tool would slide on. Didn't even need to drill for screw holes, and I still had the screws. . . so that was convenient.
I'm thinking I'll add a gas-strut to help with opening the lid. It isn't all THAT heavy, but I am THAT lazy. . . soooo. But there is a nice bit of space inside. I think this is going to be storage for spare tooling, carbide bit and such. But, haven't really decided. You can see the top of the cap head screw that is the sole screw securing it to the top of the lathe. I'm not sure what this screw was originally meant to hold, but it was convenient here.
I still need to attach storage/holders for my custom wrench and my oil cup. I also got a length of steel angle that I'm going to screw to the back. That'll be were I store my magnetic bases.

Kind sir, that is a sexy sexy lathe!

Oh, and I’m stealing your idea.

Heh! Watch how you talk about my lady there. She's sensitive, even if her name is Sebastian.

One of these days, I'll finish the paint job so that the legs match the rest of it. (Yeah. Who am I kidding?)

Heh! Watch how you talk about my lady there. She's sensitive, even if her name is Sebastian.

One of these days, I'll finish the paint job so that the legs match the rest of it. (Yeah. Who am I kidding?)

Noooooo don’t do that. I was just thinking I like the fact the legs are a contrasting colour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotgun, I really like that box. I have the same lathe, just not near that pretty. Really need a chuck for it.

Back