First Lathe--logan 200 With Many Attachments

I recently acquired my first lathe (Logan 200) and am really enjoying learning to use it. It came with many attachments and accessories--original 3-jaw and 4-jaw, face-plate, new Bison 6 1/4 3-jaw, new tool-post holder and a new tail-stock chuck plus misc other tooling. Lathe holds nice tolerances and shows minimal wear. Also, there seems to be two different collet holders that I will probably never use. There is also one other attachment that puzzles me. Maybe someone in the know can help me identify what it is used for?? Please see photos.

That looks like a milling spindle or something like that. I've never seen anything quite like that setup. It also does not look like it fits the ways, the way it's setting looks like it does not set on the back way. Could it go on the other direction?

Logan made a contraption to increase the swing from 10" to something larger. That looks like the casting, but surely not the original setup. Scroll down toward bottom of this page;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/index.html

Might check out some old Logan catalogs at the Logan site too.

That looks like a milling spindle or something like that. I've never seen anything quite like that setup. It also does not look like it fits the ways, the way it's setting looks like it does not set on the back way. Could it go on the other direction?

I just set the unit on the ways to take a picture and didn't look to see if it fit the ways. But, the drive pulley with belt fits into the headstock and aligns with the pulley on the main unit so I think it is facing the right direction. It might be a contraption in order to get a larger swing diameter. I say this because I have some plates that probably go under the tailstock and the cross slide. But, they are only a half inch thick or so and it looks like the swing will be increased over an inch. Also, what is confusing is the output "nose" as in the last picture because there is no way to mount a chuck or face plate. I am just an amateur but still a mystery to me.

Also, what is confusing is the output "nose" as in the last picture because there is no way to mount a chuck or face plate. I am just an amateur but still a mystery to me.

That part of it looks like an endmill holder, but I don't really see how it would all work.

dhidaka,

That looks like a great lathe. :encourage:
Congratulations!

It's not a Logan made attachment

Rich you nailed it!
I did not see the "globe" name until I went back and zoomed in on the pictures.

-brino

It's not a Logan made attachment:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/globe/

I had intended to mention Globe as the manufacturer in my original post but forgot to do so. I did try to do some research on Globe but could not find anything. Glad you are so observant to notice that the unit was not manufactured by Logan, but I would think Logan would subcontract others for attachments, etc anyway. Thanks for the link as it verifies that I now have a lathe operated end mill. I need to see if I have an attachment that will hold down the parts needing to be milled. Hopefully, there is something in my box of stuff. I guess I will try and sort it all out and play with all this when I get a moment. If it works I will put up a "working" post later.

I am Soooooooooo! jealous of your Globe attachment! :cry:

Ron

Back