First chuck backplate turning/setup

Update. I skim cut the contact surface and lightly touched off the register. I used transfer screws and marked the plate and put the back plate on my indexing head in vertical position. Indicated in the part and found center of the punch marks...ran a spotting drill the a 6.5mm drill bit with 120 degree seperation and punched them through. My last step, either use a tap OR I have these spiral drill/taps to take it to 8mm x 1.25 tpm. I hate tapping though I normally do Stainless. Anyone ever use spiral drill taps? Not gonna lie, I'm a bit skeptical so I'm putting the last step off until tomorrow.

Spiral flute taps , spiral point taps . Spiral drill taps ? Are they a drill and tap combined ?

Well , I've never ! :grin: I'll have to check them out , never seen one . :encourage:

Nevermind....I'm a knucklehead. The back plate doesn't need to be threaded..just gotta open the holes up another mm and give it a test. I did all I could, took my time. Its in Gods hands!
These are the type of drill/taps
Spiral drill taps

Designed to tap up to 10-gauge metal

Not sure that would work even if you needed to tap those holes .

Well, technically they are these...though they don't say how thick of metal they are for..there is a reason for my skepticism.
McMaster

Ok . They look like the smaller ones would work . I sure wouldn't trust a 1/4" hex to drive anything over a 1/4-20 tap though . :) No way it would drive a 3/4" tap !

Back