First attempt of broaching with a hobby milling machine

compact8

Registered
Registered
The tool is a piece of HSS strip 2.5 mm thick x 8 mm wide. The result is OK but there are two things that I would like to seek some improvement :

1) The tool was advanced by just 0.05 mm between consecutive strokes but cutting only happened in every other strokes. When it cut the tool often bite into the metal making it necessary to use a lot of force to complete the stroke. Are there any ways to make it cut more smoothly ?

2) The face of the slot contacting the cutting edge of the tool is wavy as shown in the photo. The other two surfaces are very smooth. Function wise this is no issue but does it indicate anything wrong ?

Attachments

• 相片 11-23-21 21 46 18.jpg
    相片 11-23-21 21 46 18.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 相片 11-23-21 21 47 37.jpg
    相片 11-23-21 21 47 37.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 52
The way you describe the cutting action and the waviness suggest (to me) that your tool wasn’t sharp or didn’t have enough relief. Any chance you can get a close up of the tool (I know it’s really hard to get the right focus, etc.)?

The way you describe the cutting action and the waviness suggest (to me) that your tool wasn’t sharp or didn’t have enough relief. Any chance you can get a close up of the tool (I know it’s really hard to get the right focus, etc.)?
Here are the photos of the tool :

Attachments

• IMG_6151.jpg
    IMG_6151.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 50
Following along to see what the pros say. My uneducated guess is the angle is too steep in your cutter.

Tim

Flex?
The side cuts look great from the second pic. IMHO

My guess is the problem is the cutter rake. Too much rake on a small mill would cause the tool to dig in. It looks like your piece is brass and brass is notorious for issues when drilling for the same reason, A neutral or negative rake should make for more controlled cuts.

My guess is your compound/carriage is lifting during the cut, then, once a ripple gets started it gets bigger.
Your workpiece is brass which is considered a "tenacious" metal and very grabby causing the tool to dig in more than other metals
As RJ mentioned, making a smaller rake angle on the tool may help reduce the tendency to dig in.
-M

I'm with @RJSakowski except I would suggest a neutral or barely positive rake. The fact that it only cut on every other stroke is simply due to the limitations of the rigidity of the setup. The waviness is most likely caused by the same. You didn't state what kind of hobby mill, but if it's a knee mill, I would suggest retract the quill all the way and lock it. Then make your cuts using the knee.

if it's a knee mill, I would suggest retract the quill all the way and lock it. Then make your cuts using the knee.

That’s a lot of cranking! Do people really do that?

Back