Resolved Firefox Nightly

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone else besides me using the new beta firefox nightly?
I've been using it since it came out and find it fast and lite on 'puter resources.
**G**

Bob Korves said:
I like to wait a while and find out what problems others have before I jump in. My Firefox is so slow to load now I thought they may have been bought out by Microsoft... ;)
Mine has been slow too. I thought it was my computer

Upvote 0
I loaded nightly as a separate program just to see if I like it.Being it's a beta program it updates twice a day. My PC is a win 7 ultimate 64 bit.My CPU and RAM use is down and this thing is fast.I'm no IT guy so I can not tell you how it does it but take my word it's been getting better every update.
Not trying to sell this nor am I a Mozilla spokesperson. All I'm saying is try it you might like it.
****:bash computer:***Gator***

Upvote 0
I am on Mozilla Firefox version 57 which may be called Quantum. A formal release. This version does seem a little faster. Mozilla claim it uses less memory.

Upvote 0
The current version of FireFox is a memory hog. In Windows, if you do a ctrl alt del and start the Task Manager and then go to Processes and click on Memory, you can see how much RAM Firefox is using. More than likely, it is the lion's share of your RAM. If you shut down Firefox and restart it, yoou will see the amount of RAM used has dropped significantly.

When Windows is memory challenged, it starts using virtual memory in the form of hard disk space. The access time for virtual memory is much longer than for actual RAM so Firefox and any other operations slow way down. It's the price we pay for having Firefox remember every thing you have done since the last startup plus what you had for breakfast .

I made the mistake of updating Firefox on an older laptop and Firefox slowed to less than a crawl. I am running 12 GB of RAM on my computer and astill have to shut down and restart Firefox on a fairly regular basis. The only solution was to revert back to an older version.

Upvote 0
Practice what I preach. I just restarted Firefox and RAM usage dropped from 3.2GB to 185MB.

Upvote 0
I just got a update and I belive it's 57.0 and so far I don't see a whole lot of difference but it has a lot of extras that I don't realy need but after I use it for a while I might change my mind.

Upvote 0
Nightly is on build 59. I think it's the test bed for Quantum.
I always have Task Manager running just in case I get locked in a program that won't let go such as ransomware.Unless I'm watching a video the CPU meter on the taskbar never peeks.I have 8 windows open right now and only using 2684mb of memory.
Thanks for the input RJ.
**G**

Upvote 0
Back