Fired up my tig machine

I really struggle with feeding the rod. I don't have the ability or haven't come up with a reasonable accommodation to feed like Jodi at Welding tips and tricks. I am missing two fingers and can't do it that way.
I have to push the rod in when needed which means my hand is getting closer and closer.
I have adopted the method of pausing and feeding or laying it next to the heat zone.
I'm getting better but it ain't easy.

I really struggle with feeding the rod. I don't have the ability or haven't come up with a reasonable accommodation to feed like Jodi at Welding tips and tricks. I am missing two fingers and can't do it that way.
I have to push the rod in when needed which means my hand is getting closer and closer.
I have adopted the method of pausing and feeding or laying it next to the heat zone.
I'm getting better but it ain't easy.
CK Worldwide has just released a new product called an Easy Dabr. They are sending them out as promos. Let me know if you want details on how to get one.

the work piece. It just looks rusty in the pic.
TIG just takes some practice. Having someone who has some experience watching you can really help.
Another question is can you see the puddle good while you are welding? Most of the people that I have seen that really struggle, cannot see very well. I have to use a cheater lens now for that very problem.

Joe
I discovered that the cheater lens is a game changer a couple of years ago... I had lost all ability to see the puddle... a good friend gave me a couple of cheaters and solved that problem.

I did a little TIG welding last night...

20200708_153137.jpg

Aside from the obvious crater, I think it looks ok, at least relative to my abilities...

I started following weldingtipsandtricks several years ago... when I was watching the videos, I kept thinking that Jody sure looked familiar... but I couldn't figure out why. It finally occured to me that I used to pass him in the hallway at work every morning... I would be leaving as he was coming in.

He was a welding instructor in the welding shop down the hall from my area. He retired before I knew who he was. I wish that I could have taken a few classes with him.

-Bear

CK Worldwide has just released a new product called an Easy Dabr. They are sending them out as promos. Let me know if you want details on how to get one.
Yes, how do I get one?

The Easy Dabr was promoted here:

Jeff, I don't think your hands should get in the way at all. Often, I cut a full length of rod into quarters so I can lay the rod between my pinched fingers, across my face-up palm and into the work. I can use the tip of my index or middle finger (or first knuckle, if need be) to push feed the wire in, and I waste just the last inch or two of rod. It seems that the longer I work, the more efficient my body becomes, so I always end up holding my filler rod in this palm-up fashion. I do have a nice poke scar between my index and middle finger on my palm from grabbing the wrong side of a piece of stainless rod (hey, that was supposed to be the cold side, not red!). I also practice left and right handed work so I can reach tough spots. Filler rod just gets dipped into the puddle, so it's not like trying to train yourself to have handwriting with the left hand looks as good as with the right.

Jeff, I don't think your hands should get in the way at all. Often, I cut a full length of rod into quarters so I can lay the rod between my pinched fingers, across my face-up palm and into the work. I can use the tip of my index or middle finger (or first knuckle, if need be) to push feed the wire in, and I waste just the last inch or two of rod. It seems that the longer I work, the more efficient my body becomes, so I always end up holding my filler rod in this palm-up fashion. I do have a nice poke scar between my index and middle finger on my palm from grabbing the wrong side of a piece of stainless rod (hey, that was supposed to be the cold side, not red!). I also practice left and right handed work so I can reach tough spots. Filler rod just gets dipped into the puddle, so it's not like trying to train yourself to have handwriting with the left hand looks as good as with the right.
Hmmm I'm a righty but I might have to give it a go with the torch in my left hand.

I bought the machine from a shop that closed, they said they only used it for stick welding. The plug was cut off so I couldn't run it at the time, for 800.00 I took a chance. It took time to wire the garage, and have a plug put on, then I found out they only stick welded because they burnt a board, and that's all it would do. LOL 1200 bucks for the board, but it's working

Back