Fireball vise

Good buy at $1800?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • More cowbell

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Remains to be seen, go use it for a while!

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
It's too expensive for me as a general purpose vice, but I'm glad these are manufactured in "the West" (not just in Asia).

Edit: Actually, it's made in Taiwan... Nothing wrong with it, but here I was hoping manufacturing is coming back to the west...

Last edited:
It's too expensive for me as a general purpose vice, but I'm glad these are manufactured in "the West" (not just in Asia).

Edit: Actually, it's made in Taiwan... Nothing wrong with it, but here I was hoping manufacturing is coming back to the west...
They do make the same one in the US, or will. They're double the price though.

They do make the same one in the US, or will. They're double the price though.
I'm not surprised made in the US is more expensive, but double :oops: Wow.

I read on their website the higher cost is due to tooling up requirements in US, while in Taiwan they're using a company that already makes vices (but they haven't made one that big yet).

I wish, once they finish setting up, they make a video about all the unique challenges they encountered setting up such operation in US from scratch.

There's probably a price per unit/volume factor. Otherwise I'd expect the production cost for the casting to be fairly similar, with maybe some added cost for materials and handling. The machining would be my guess for the major price difference.

I think it's a nice tool. The price on the TW version is right, historically quality big iron vises cost adjusted for inflation were around that $1k-2k price point. I've got a welding table built out of receiver tubing, it might be strong enough for that vise, but it would be as topheavy as a lathe. Still, I'd love to never have to cuss at a vise again.

Reactions: K30
Can you rotate the base so the fixed jaw is overhanging the edge of the bench? It would be a shame to lose the ability to clamp long parts vertically.
Yes, but only in one direction. 90 degrees around the fixed jaw is inside the footprint of the table. I mounted it so that none of the baseplate overhangs, and thats what I found. Hell, I'll just do an update.

Update: I finally had the time and all the tools to mount the vise to my table. I figured the easiest way was just to drill and tap the table for a close fitting bolt, since it's 1 1/2 thick.
I wound up getting a super el-cheapo VEVOR mag drill and a set of annular cutters (ok, that mag drill was a good buy, it had no issues at all, i recommend it). I wasn't about to attemp it with a hand drill. I wound up drilling (annullizing?) 13/16" and tapping for 7/8 14. This turned out to be a pain, no one stocks that size bolt or tap locally. But, I found a 2 1/4 hex cap screw was the perfect length. There's about 1/4" of unused thread in the table left. A 29/64" transfer punch fit the vise base just right. I used my 3/4 drive ratchet and a 1 15/16" socket to snug it down, and yes, i did check, the base is flat and it's not stressed.
The swivel base is a rectangular pattern, on centers at 8 x 12". You can overhang something on the 12" side, but not the 8" unless the base is hanging over the table.
Pictures:
20230504_125220.jpg
20230508_180121.jpg
20230508_180535.jpg
20230508_180648.jpg
20230508_180712.jpg

Attachments

• 20230505_133735.jpg
    20230505_133735.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 17

He's trying really hard to make one in the US. However, it's been more than difficult. In Taiwan, there's a factory that can make them

In the US, it requires shipping an incomplete vise to *four* different factories. So, yeah, the price is much higher for the US made vise ($3,800 vs $1,800). That was from memory, and he goes into detail in one of the videos.

I think it's decent value at $1,800. Not cheap, but there's nothing like it on the market. See his video where he purposely destroys a Wilton and other "high end" vises.

Back