Finish for 4130 on the lathe

I've often found that really pushing a molded carbide insert with a high doc and feed gives a beautiful shiny finish with random steel. Drop the doc and it looks like I wire wheeled it. Definitely worth playing around with it to find out what works best

Hey Matt, What do you consider a high DOC? and feed rate.

Could be hot rolled. Seems harder to get a good finish on.

Hey Matt, What do you consider a high DOC? and feed rate.
pretty much anything that makes me put the chip shield up on the carriage to stop yellow and blue chips getting stuck in my chest hair or between my toes. If you're using molded carbide (eg CCMT) then you have to be breaking chips - if you have strings coming off you're feeding too slow for that DOC. You can also go by ear - on my lathe (SB "heavy" 9) I can hear the motor pitch change under load and the cut will make more of a hissing sound than a scraping sound. Plus you'll see the difference in the surface finish. All of the above vary depending on lathe, material, material diameter and rpm, so it's hard to give a particular figure.

Nice video, I think the important takeaway is DOC and higher feed rate, when he increased the feed rate at the very end the surface finish improved.
I have thought about this. The DOC need not be spectacular, but it does need to be enough that the tool, with it's little un-sharp radius on the cutting edge will push far enough into the work so that the chip, forced into plastic deformation, will flow into the trick curves of the chip-breaker.

That by itself is not enough. If the feed rate is too slow, the tool will not be making a steady flow of new connected chip running into the breaker. This is where the "other" radius comes in to play, that being the tip radius. Here I am talking of turning along the spindle axis (Z?) rather than for facing. To get the metal to keep flowing into the chip breaker, the tool has to travel fast enough to, in effect, maintain that chip depth of cut while on the move, but in the Z-axis direction as well.

I guess this can be hard work for a small lathe, but it does not have to be done at blinding speed. The feed rate is locked to an increment advance "per revolution". Even when you get it OK in theory, it is possible to run into tool-tip buildup, sticking and tearing tiny streaky chunks out of the metal, depending on what type it is. I don't get too many chances to experiment here. Once I get an OK finish happening, I want to go on and get the part made. I guess I should time out with some scrap steel, and start trying the combinations, but I don't think I have enough life left. :(

I learned a while back that carbide likes hard and fast. The same is said often in this forum.

I was turning some large scrap grade 8 bolts and was getting the frosty finish along with chipping inserts. Increased doc, feed rate and sfm substantially and got a mirror finish and increased insert life. But I had to stand back and out of line because the chips were flying and blue hot.

David P Best’s book gives a minimum doc of 1/2 of insert radius for a good finish. I haven’t tested this as yet but plan to next time I’m trying for a good finish. Besides, I think I can trust David’s info to be good.

Chuck

Back