Finding Local Suppliers?

Here in the Denver area, we have Alreco (aluminum recycling company) that handles multi tons of "scrap aluminum" as well as some new, and a little brass.
Their scrap is what I call dream city for old scroungers like me. Mostly remnants from machine shops. You want a hunk of 18" diameter 4" wall 6061 tubing?
or just a piece of 2 x 3 x 24 bar, or sheet stock, or 8" dia. x 18" long round. Here's a picture of one of their racks.I usually just dig through the racks to find chunks of stuff to whittle away at. They also stock a large amount of new aluminum stock and will cut it to length for you. Probable an acre or two to wander around in. I can't believe that there aren't a lot of this kind of a place hiding all across the country. There is also another place up in the Boulder CO area. You might check around for recyclers in the phone book or online.

Grumpy

2014-03-11.jpg

Here in the Denver area, we have Alreco (aluminum recycling company) that handles multi tons of "scrap aluminum" as well as some new, and a little brass.
Their scrap is what I call dream city for old scroungers like me. Mostly remnants from machine shops. You want a hunk of 18" diameter 4" wall 6061 tubing?
or just a piece of 2 x 3 x 24 bar, or sheet stock, or 8" dia. x 18" long round. Here's a picture of one of their racks.I usually just dig through the racks to find chunks of stuff to whittle away at. They also stock a large amount of new aluminum stock and will cut it to length for you. Probable an acre or two to wander around in. I can't believe that there aren't a lot of this kind of a place hiding all across the country. There is also another place up in the Boulder CO area. You might check around for recyclers in the phone book or online.

Grumpy

View attachment 108686

THAT is exactly what I am trying to find in the Downstate or Mid-Hudson region of NY State. Unfortunately, recyclers that collect scrap cannot legally sell the bits and pieces. I've asked at the place where I take my scrap for reclamation.

There used to be a place at Stewart Airport that handled architectural stuff. But they closed when the Port Authority took over from the county.

I used to could buy drops at the local steel yards, but most of them have quit selling by the pound, since metal prices have skyrocketed. My favorite supplier who stocked lots of aluminum just instituted a policy of $250 minimums. They made it clear to me that they no longer want my business.

Recently, my local supplier is Metal Supermarket. They stock or can get most any metal you need. They have several large shelves of drops, but everything is sold by the foot or inch. But, it is like a store. You can peruse the racks. Prices are not the best, though much lower than box and hardware stores, but the convenience factor is high. They have a very accurate 18" band saw and will make accurate square cuts for a couple bucks each.

I've found that OnLine Metals has a very good selection of metals and good documentation describing the specifications of all the metals they sell. There is a local warehouse in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, so orders arrive in a day or two if the local warehouse has it in stock. I can pick up at that warehouse, but it can be a 2-3 hours round trip across Dallas traffic. Most of the time, having a local UPS delivery is cost effective.

Try doing business with a local welding shop. Sometimes they will accommodate you.

I found a couple of fabrication shops that would sell off left overs, kinda pricey but no shipping because I drove past daily anyway. Sometimes you need that 6" piece of a 1" stainless or some such, and they would generally have it. Go in and ask if you can sift through their bone yard, see what they say. If no, you're no worse off than now.

EMJ metals, think there everywhere, I emailed them for a reference book of metals a week ago ,
Just got a phone call from a EMJ sales rep he had my books out side , he was in my driveway with them :eagerness: free they have bout everything you need to know about metal. It is a two book set
Technical resource, and materials resource, very nice reference books

here in San Antonio I have several suppliers, On actually says that they support hobby personnel. A bit more expensive than some but less than paying the shipping normally. I have also got some from Ebay, Stoners Tools it was nice, and the ones I got were free shipping. Have a scrap yard that you can walk around in and they still sell the scrap by the pound. Mostly steel. Have thought about trying a couple of machine shops for drops but none close and friendly.

Speedy Metals is another online supplier that you can look at. I like them for cast iron blocks that can be ordered close to what you really need, and the shipping costs aren't that bad. For small batches of cold rolled, 1045 TGP shafting, tool steel, 6061 Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Metals Supermarket in Oklahoma City works well for me == Jack

Back