Finding an independent chuck

Super frustrating are those rare times when No One bids on the item and you hold off bidding also thinking it's going to go sky high.
I've had that happen a time or two. One time I was able to get the item later for only a little more when the seller re-listed it.
You never can tell!

How do you not try out your collet set?
When I got the set it was heavily rusted , after the clean up some of the pitting remained as you can see in the pictures . So after the clean up I started fitting it to my lathe , I have the 101.07301 machine that has the bushing head sock . Like yours my spindle has a Morse Taper #2 , anyhow the collet holder fit in nicely and the collets went in . But the draw in tube did not fit so I made the little spacer showing in my pic . Bummer the Atlas spacer is nice , hardened and ground , precision . So in my Kennedy it sits , the collets are tiny the biggest one is 6/32 . I think my collet set is from the Atlas MK II . If there any MK II owners reading this , what is your spindle length ? Mine is 8.375 .
machinist , I made a post some time ago . Using MT#2 collets , now I can't find it . Any how to use a MT#2 collet all you have to do is buy a set of collets and make a draw bar and spacer .
Mark .

If you wait long enough you'll be offered the thing you're wanting by a widow that just want's it all out of the basement.

Buy the stuff you need first, a cheap 4 jaw will work just fine and won't ruin your lathe for the original NOS $500 part off eBay. Chances are, by the time you learn how to use it you'll want a heavier machine anyway. There are plenty of beautiful vintage machines out there looking for their forever home, learn the skills and the tools will follow.

John

Anyone who bids for items on E Bay in real time is going to have a lot of disappointments! The trick is to decide exactly how much you are willing to pay and use a bid service such as E Snipe, it sends in your maximum bid in 6 seconds before the end of the auction, if yours is the highest bid, you only pay the next bid increment higher that the highest bid that is less than your maximum. The fees for the service are quite modest.
Well done.
I had no idea there was an app that could do this.

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. I'm looking for an atlas 4" independent chuck, 1"×10. They come up on Ebay, but the decent ones I bid on get snatched out from under me in the last seconds of the auction. Literally the last 2-3 seconds and my computer can't take much more abuse after the losses. I would like an original for nostalgic purposes but I'm open to aftermarket, if the quality is >= those old English chucks. Also keeping in mind that I currently don't have the means or equipment to thread or machine blank backplates. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

M. Noob

I just looked and the extra chuck that i have (branded Craftsman) has a 1" x 8 thread. I've been trying to find it a good home but it seems like it's always the wrong thread. I have a faceplate with a 3/4" thread in it that could be bored out and the chuck could be mounted to it.

I just looked and the extra chuck that i have (branded Craftsman) has a 1" x 8 thread. I've been trying to find it a good home but it seems like it's always the wrong thread. I have a faceplate with a 3/4" thread in it that could be bored out and the chuck could be mounted to it.
I appreciate you looking. I wonder why they made different tpi arrangements?

Super frustrating are those rare times when No One bids on the item and you hold off bidding also thinking it's going to go sky high.
I've had that happen a time or two. One time I was able to get the item later for only a little more when the seller re-listed it.
You never can tell!
Yes, that's exactly what I'm experiencing!

Most of the parts in the 101.07301 are the same as those on the Atlas 618. Why the spindle nose threads are different no one really knows. But best guess is because Sears already sold wood lathes that had 1"-8 threads. So they insisted on that.

Most of the parts in the 101.07301 are the same as those on the Atlas 618. Why the spindle nose threads are different no one really knows. But best guess is because Sears already sold wood lathes that had 1"-8 threads. So they insisted on that.
That would make sense.

Other things that no one still alive seems to remember is why the right leg of the 3/8" bed 12" didn't use the same part as the 10" of the same vintage (only has one hold-down screw instead of two), why the 101.07301 stayed with the second version countershaft bracket when the 618 changed to the third type after about a year, etc,

Back