Finding an independent chuck

machinistnoob

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. I'm looking for an atlas 4" independent chuck, 1"×10. They come up on Ebay, but the decent ones I bid on get snatched out from under me in the last seconds of the auction. Literally the last 2-3 seconds and my computer can't take much more abuse after the losses. I would like an original for nostalgic purposes but I'm open to aftermarket, if the quality is >= those old English chucks. Also keeping in mind that I currently don't have the means or equipment to thread or machine blank backplates. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

M. Noob

E-bay basically gets the market value for stuff (that sort of is the definition of "market value"). It is a large enough audience, that you won't get some sort of special deal. Since you know what they go for, up your bid - don't wait for the last few seconds - put in a good price, put in what you are prepared to pay - don't bounce around a few dollars at a time. You know the market value, if you went 25% over - I pretty much guarantee it would be yours.

I like the fact that you want to keep things Atlas/Craftsman , so do I . Concessions I have made are my QCTP (Little machine shop .com) I still have the lantern but I don't use it . Joelr at my machine shop has this to offer https://www.ebay.com/itm/165635232118?hash=item2690a11176:g:QmQAAOSwAnJZcR1U&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsNaunWuQ6EUqnDqeLxuodxgGuTAz37hylDBhwXyMfmaZt6S9wgKFpsJG5pmIbmtvSsFcMXwYWBmwZuE70eapyxzt1oaycHrzf8loevKhBeNvGLRwq5ogkxbHVMMBp7rZHO5YJ6w5nztZkF5Ww0SlL3+KuQ7u6AIAafYp9evlOsgbyR9sN9Ckw3tGyqIIRF+UEzFmtJQQ8gkK4PkIMYWCIzaJrUFJJh+IvYuj39MMCw3v|tkp:Bk9SR6TO4s6fYQ
It would be my choice .
Good luck , Mark .
Thank you. I guess I chose a hobby and machine where paying premium is required for participation.

Anyone who bids for items on E Bay in real time is going to have a lot of disappointments! The trick is to decide exactly how much you are willing to pay and use a bid service such as E Snipe, it sends in your maximum bid in 6 seconds before the end of the auction, if yours is the highest bid, you only pay the next bid increment higher that the highest bid that is less than your maximum. The fees for the service are quite modest.

Thank you. I guess I chose a hobby and machine where paying premium is required for participation.
Pretty much you did . The deals are out there though , like you I like getting the real thing . A while back I scored the drum switch arm a for a buy -it - now friendly price , from the bay . My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw it . A few weeks later I scored the switch for a decent price . I have payed up for some stuff , A while back I bought an original collet and draw bar set up . I think I payed 350. for it , sad part is I have yet to use it and probably never will . But its mine and I love it .
Mark .

Attachments

• collets.JPG
    collets.JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 10
Pretty much you did . The deals are out there though , like you I like getting the real thing . A while back I scored the drum switch arm a for a buy -it - now friendly price , from the bay . My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw it . A few weeks later I scored the switch for a decent price . I have payed up for some stuff , A while back I bought an original collet and draw bar set up . I think I payed 350. for it , sad part is I have yet to use it and probably never will . But its mine and I love it .
Mark .
I have quite a few pieces of tooling in that same category, another fellow traveler said "I needed it for my d--k".

Mark .
Nice! I've seen a few myself and considered purchasing. Only to realize that I have other things to focus on first. How do you not try out your collet set?

Anyone who bids for items on E Bay in real time is going to have a lot of disappointments! The trick is to decide exactly how much you are willing to pay and use a bid service such as E Snipe, it sends in your maximum bid in 6 seconds before the end of the auction, if yours is the highest bid, you only pay the next bid increment higher that the highest bid that is less than your maximum. The fees for the service are quite modest.
It's a tough lesson to learn. I've successfully bid on other, unrelated things but the demand and competition in this area is stiff.

Back