Finally, Something Worth Posting...

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't look at some of the things people make in their shops. Always find something else to put on the list to copy. Not that they aren't needed !!!! Very nice build looks like a lot better than one you could buy.

I have a Veritas that came with my (used) bench grinder. and the previous owner mounted it with the base directly under the front vertical tangent of the wheel.
I saw your post and wondered if that is the right place or not. I googled Veritas an came up with many pages of photos showing the unit mounted in front of this point and behind this point. Due to the adjustable arms, I don't see it making that much difference. Could you explain why it should be moved, and to where? I'm a newbie, and old newbie, but a newbie just the same, and need all of the advice I can get.

By the way, Mike, nice build, looks much heavier than the Veritas, and I love the larger plate, looks like it would make it easier to rest more of your fingers/hand on.
I'm thinking of adding a flat top plate like yours to the top of my Veritas, then maybe I would feel more like using the thing.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Chuck,
I think the reason for moving it in is so that if something gets jammed, the lower pivot will want to move away from the wheel. I've already relocated mine, and looking at it, I can see the logic.

Gotcha! Thanks, that makes sense. Now when I look at the angle of your first picture with the one that Tom shows, I see the potentially serious problem and the simple solution.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Mike,

Nice job! Where did you get the fancy handles?

Tom

Very nice Mike - I think it's an improvement over the original.

Back