Filling deep scratches in lathe ways?

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I dragged home a very nice 13" South Bend last night. I was quite surprised that the ways are in nice condition with no ridge or tightening saddle along the whole length of the bed. However it does have a few deep scratches and a bump from a chuck or something like that.

In order to avoid dragging more dirt and chips under the wipers i`d like to fill these scratches. Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way? What do I use? Epoxy was my first guess...

Pics attached.

Attachments

• 0719211456a.jpg
    0719211456a.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 0719211456.jpg
    0719211456.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • 0719211455a_HDR.jpg
    0719211455a_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 0719211455_HDR.jpg
    0719211455_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
I have heard of grinding out the scratch with a narrow cut off wheel into a dovetail shape and peening in a soft metal such as solder or babbit metal metal and finish scraping it down flush with the way surface. I suspect that some sort of epoxy could also be used.

Epoxy will do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scrub it out well with lighter fluid or alcohol before applying the epoxy, and give some gentle heat for a few hours to help cure it
You could even add some fine metal shavings to the mix
-Mark

Metal not needed here.

Just fill the void and make surface match.

Use good epoxy and thin a bit with acetone.

Experiment with the mix on something first.

Apply then place tape over to hold in place and flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, funny how you all are from California - I lived in Turlock most of my life and recently relocated from Portland to Houston.

Thanks guys, funny how you all are from California - I lived in Turlock most of my life and recently relocated from Portland to Houston.
It's a small world. I came from Modesto myself, still have clients in Turlock. Worst street layout I've ever seen.

If you don't grind the scores deeper and wider at the bottom to anchor it in, just filling what's there will fall out, I would use Devcon aluminum as it dries and looks like cast iron. It will be soft. The ideal way to do it would be to gat the bed ground or planned. I have seen where people file off the ridge, so it not being their doesn't mean much. If you need any more help please ask as I do this for a living. Not a guess. You will need to scrape new oil pockets in the bed too, The score is from lack of lubrication then from chips under the wipers. If you need some in-person help I have a handful of students in your area. If you message me your email address I will write them and copy you.

If you don't grind the scores deeper and wider at the bottom to anchor it in, just filling what's there will fall out, I would use Devcon aluminum as it dries and looks like cast iron. It will be soft. The ideal way to do it would be to gat the bed ground or planned. I have seen where people file off the ridge, so it not being their doesn't mean much. If you need any more help please ask as I do this for a living. Not a guess. You will need to scrape new oil pockets in the bed too, The score is from lack of lubrication then from chips under the wipers. If you need some in-person help I have a handful of students in your area. If you message me your email address I will write them and copy you.

Thanks for the info, I trust your advice. What is odd on this bed is how there are none of those factory South Bend flakes I see all the time on these. Even up around the headstock.

As I do more cleaning and looking i`ll make some more decisions.

Back