Ferrite rings, educate me on their use

www.fair-rite.com Lots of information under the "Tech Resources" tab. You need to choose a ferrite material that is effective at your frequency.

Wow a ton of info to try and digest. I knew I would get way more info on here verses the sniper owners group. I think there are a lot more knowledgeable people on here by far.

I have no clue what frequency this operates at. How would I find that out?

There isn't a lot of info on the power distribution module and how to wire it or if it has a relay in it for the fuel pump or any efi cancelling features.

From reading everything here I'm realizing that I should also do a dedicated ground for the injection. The holley tech guy said to run the power wire to the battery in the trunk, and hook it to the side terminal. The main car power is hooked to the top post. i didn't think it would make a difference but it's easy to change that. I figured that if the power needs to be hooked to the side terminal I should hook the additional ground wire to the side terminal also. I just ordered 75ft of 10awg copper wire from amazon. I always need wire so it wasn't much extra to get 75ft of it verses 25ft.

The replacement sniper1 came in yesterday. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I don't need it. I may try to sell it. Anyone want a brand new fuel injection unit?

Jon

After all this talk about ferrite chokes, I still think the best thing for you is to separate signal wires from power wires, and to use drain shields on the most sensitive wires (ignition trigger, injector PWM). I have only used chokes in automotive to filter audio power from the alternator. All things EFI are separated and sensitive signals get drain shields. Most of the time, only injectors, ign triggers (hall or VR from dist/crank and back from ECU to coil), and O2 sensors. Chokes are great for filtering line noise from motors and things, but aren't exactly a go-to for automotive.

Just a note, this thread prompted me to try a ferrite with the problem I've been having trying to control my VFD over RS485. Ran the communication wires through a much too large ferrite bead, and it work beautifully.

Here's the best way to put it.
A ferrite core can't hurt. It can help.
It seems like a no brainer at this point.

Back