Faster Than the Speed of Light?

Same here in Canada. We have one of the three largest reservoirs in the world and we cannot get it to market.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the usual. If there is a cause for it to go up, it does so overnight. When the cause is gone (spot price drops), the outlets delay, and delay, and spin it out as long as they can.

We notice the game is more intense in UK than in Europe, and the tax fraction is huge. Large transport trucks have extra tanks fitted, and fuel up in Calais. They do the trips into UK, and will only fill minimal to get back to Folkestone, if they have to.

Look for fuel surcharges on truck shipments to go through the roof as well soon!

So much for truck camping this year as well.
I have/had several trips planned.

If Ford came out and said they'd never build another F-150, you could expect the prices to jump immediately. Is it greed? Yep. Are you greedy, too? Yep. We all are. It's mine, and if you want it you'll pay my price. It doesn't matter what I paid for it. That is none of your business. This one is mine, and I can price it any way I want. Now, if a guy across the street is giving F-150's away, I'll have to drop my price if I want to get get any money (it's your money, after all, and what you do with it is your business). The only reason the gas stations can charge so much is that there is good reason to believe that the resource is about to be very restricted, and you won't have the alternative to get it cheaper elsewhere. Why should they give you their gas at a low price today if they can expect it to be worth double that tomorrow?

This is not academic. I have a Malaguti Yesterday scooter that my wife wants to keep because she thinks it will be a collector's item. They aren't making anymore (haven't for 20yrs), and they were a hot item at one time. So if you want one in ten years, you'll have to meet her price. It's a free market, and the price will be set by how much people really want the limited resource. One alternative is to let an omniscient bureaucrat decide the price. History has clearly demonstrated that bureaucrats of the omniscient type are in exceedingly short supply. Another is to enable more suppliers (have someone else make trucks, scooters or gasoline), but that goes against the agenda of some unnamed powers that want us all to buy electric vehicles.

Why are gas stations vilified for behaving the exact same way every one of us would at a yard sale or auction?

It isn't the gas station that most people vilify. They understand that the station must buy the fuel and pass the cost on to the customer. People are starting to wake up to the fact that government has more control of the price than they thought.

For many people, the rate of price increase is more disruptive than the amount of increase. This is because they would have been able to reorder their budget (and lifestyle) if they had been given more time, and advance notice. An example would be selling their house and moving closer to their place of work.

One of the triggers of the Great Recession of 2008/09 was the rapid increase of fuel prices. Many people who had long commutes to work had to choose between keeping their job or walking away from their mortgage. Usually, the job was more important. This triggered the collapse of the housing market and the financial house of cards that Wall Street had built.

We'll get to see if things are any different this time.

The one product that stations on all 4 corners sell for the same price.

Local fuel prices should be based on distributor pricing, not on what a barrel of crude sitting in a tanker is going for. If distributor prices go up and my local gas station raises prices as a result, I have no problem with that. My beef is with the distributors.

The one product that stations on all 4 corners sell for the same price.
Most. There is two gas stations kind of away from the major traffic ways. They are the only two gas stations within my area that offer a cash price of currently 3.99 when card price is 4.59. Everywhere else in a 10 mile radius have it at 4.69. Then go to city limits 5.10. CRAZY
It took a touch over a year for the CLOWN to double what it was. What a circus

And, the barrel price of crude has been dropping.

Back